Mount the Software Installation Disc
For all supported HP-UX platforms except HP-UX 11.31, the software installation disc is in RockRidge format. In any case, you must mount the installation disc manually; mounting or unmounting the installation disc manually requires root privileges. One of the following procedures is for most HP-UX platforms, and the other procedure is for HP-UX 11.31.
Mount the Software Installation Disc on an HP-UX Platform
- Log in as root.
Use a system editor to add the following information to the /etc/pfs_fstab file:
<device_file> <mount_point> <filesystem_type> <translation_method>
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0 /cdrom pfs-iso9660 xlat=unix 0
Type in the following string at the command line prompt to run the pfs_mountd program, then press Enter:
# nohup /usr/sbin/pfs_mountd &
Type in the following string at the command line prompt to run the pfsd program, then press Enter:
# nohup /usr/sbin/pfsd &
Insert the installation disc into the tray and type in the following string at the command line prompt to run the pfs_mount program, which mounts the disc, then press Enter:
# /usr/sbin/pfs_mount /cdrom
Change directories to /cdrom where you can see a lower-case listing of the directories and files on the installation disc. The mounted installation disc should appear as another read-only file system.
The installation disc is now mounted and you can continue with the installation.
To unmount the software installation disc, enter the following string at the command line prompt:
# /usr/sbin/pfs_unmount /cdrom
Mount an ISO File on HP-UX Platform (non-11.31)
- Create a logical volume the size of or a little larger than the ISO file to be copied.
lvcreate –L 5G –n isotest vg01
- Use dd, and copy the contents of the ISO file into the newly created logical volume.
dd if=/tmp/test.isofile.iso of=/dev/vg01/isotest bs=1024k
- Mount the logical volume.
mount /dev/vg01/isotest /mnt
Mount the Software Installation Disc on HP-UX 11.31 Platform
- Log in as root.
- Insert the installation disc into the drive.
- Type in the appropriate form of the following string at the command line prompt and then press Enter:
/etc/mount <device_file> <mount_point>
/etc/mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0 /DVD_MountPoint
- The installation disc is now mounted and you can continue with the installation.
To unmount the software installation disc, enter the appropriate form of the following string at the command line prompt:
Mount an ISO file on HP-UX 11.31 Platforms
- The following depot can be downloaded from the HP website (free download).
ISOIMAGE-ENH B.11.31.06 ISO Image mount Enhancement
- Install the depot. Once the depot is installed, mounting an ISO file is easy. There will no longer be any need for creating a logical volume and copying.
- fspd must be loaded, or the ISO mount will not work. It can be permanently loaded so the kcmodule command will not be necessary.
- You need to specify the full path to the ISO file or it will return an error.
bash-4.0# kcmodule fspd=loaded
* The automatic 'backup' configuration has been updated.
* The requested changes have been applied to the currently running configuration.
Module State Cause Notes
fspd (before) auto best auto-loadable, unloadable (now) loaded explicit
bash-4.0# mount -r -F cdfs /mount/path/to/ISO/DVD5.iso /dvd
bash-4.0# bdf | grep fspd1
/dev/fspd1 310038 310038 0 100% /dvd
bash-4.0# ls /dvd
file1 file2 file3 file4