Installing 32-bit Components on a Microsoft Windows x64 Platform - FAQ
Keep in mind the considerations described in the following sections when installing 32-bit components on a Microsoft Windows x64 platform.
During installation, the Platform Selection screen will display all components available on the software installation disk. However, you should only select a component listed in Installing 32-bit Components on a Microsoft Windows x64 Platform - Support for installation on a Windows x64 platform.
Windows File System iDataAgent
Both the 32-bit Windows File System iDataAgent and x64 Windows File System iDataAgent can be installed on the same computer using the Multi Instancing feature. However, only the x64 Windows File System iDataAgent can be used to perform Full System Restores of the computer's operating system data.
Any 32-bit MAPI-based Exchange Agents can be installed on the same x64 computer as an x64 Exchange Database iDataAgent. To accomplish this, install the 32-bit component using the CommCell Console as explained in the Installation procedure.
You can also use the Multi Instancing feature to install 32-bit Exchange agents on x64 computers, as explained in the following steps:
- Install the x64 Exchange agents on the first instance.
- Create the following registry keys using the Windows Registry Editor:
- bAllowMultiInstances - must be created under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GalaxyInstallerFlags directory and set to 1.
- bAllow32BitInstallOn64Bit - must be created under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\GalaxyInstallerFlags directory and set to 1.
- Install the second instance. Make sure to run the installation setup from the Win32 folder of the software installation media.
The second instance contains the 32-bit MAPI-based Exchange agents.
The 32-bit MAPI-based Exchange Agent can now be used alongside the x64 Exchange agents.
Keep in mind the following when installing 32-bit MAPI-based Agents on an x64 computer:
- If you plan on deploying both 32-bit and 64-bit agents, the 64-bit agents must be installed first.
- The 32-bit MAPI-based Exchange Agent and x64 Exchange Database iDataAgent must be installed separately, and the x64 Exchange Database iDataAgent must be installed first.
- Outlook 2007, 2010, or 2013 should be installed on the proxy computer, or on the Exchange Server in the case of 32-bit on 64-bit configuration prior to installing the 32-bit agents .
- Agents for Exchange Server 2007 require Outlook 2007, 2010, or 2013 to be present on the computer where the 32-bit agents are installed.
- If you are installing the OWA Proxy Enabler on a 64-bit instance to support functionality for 32-bit Exchange agents on a 64-bit platform, keep in mind that the Client name entered during install must be the same as the computer name hosting the 64-bit instance.
DataArchiver Outlook Add-In
Keep in mind the following when installing the Outlook Add-In using MSI package on an x64 platform:
- DataArchiver Outlook Add-In must be the first package installed on the computer. Since these components do not currently support multi-instancing, you must install them to Instance001.
- Create the bAllowMultiInstances registry key on the Windows x64 platform.
- Install the x64 File System iDataAgent, and any other supported agents, on the Windows x64 platform to Instance002.
The CommServe is now supported on Windows x64 platforms. See System Requirements - CommServe for more information.
To upgrade the CommServe to Windows x64, see CommServe Hardware Refresh from Version 8 or 9 to Version 10 for step by step instruction. (Upgrade to a 32-bit CommServe is not supported.)
Keep in mind the following when installing backups and restores.
- VSS backups and restores are not supported for the 32-bit SQL Server iDataAgent running on Windows x64 platforms.
- VSS backups and restores are not supported for the 32-bit Windows File System iDataAgent running on Windows x64 platforms.
- System state backups are not supported for the 32-bit Windows File System iDataAgent running on Windows x64 platforms.
- Full system restores for RSM, RSS, Terminal Services, and Disk Quota are not supported for the 32-bit File System iDataAgent running on Windows x64 platforms. To restore these components on a Windows x64 platform, you must install the x64 File System iDataAgent and then perform a full system restore.