Install the CommServe® SNMP Enabler
The CommServe® SNMP Enabler allows you to send alerts from the CommServe computer to other client computer in the CommCell environment using the SNMP protocol.
Where to Install
The CommServe SNMP Enabler software must be installed on the CommServe computer.
Before You Begin
- Install Windows SNMP Services on the CommServe computer. The following SNMP protocols are currently supported:
- SNMP Version 1 (SNMPv1)
- SNMP Version 3 (SNMPv3)
- Download Software Packages
Download the latest SnapProtect® software using the Download Manager application. The Download Manager bundles an installation package from the SnapProtect components that you chose to download. Use the installation package to launch the software installer on a client computer.
See Download Manager - Getting Started for instructions on creating an installation package.
- Log on to the CommServe computer as a member of the Domain Administrator group on that computer.
- Run SetupAll.exe from the installation package that was created using the Download Manager.
The installation wizard appears.
- On the License Agreement page, click I accept the terms in the license agreement and then click Next.
- On the Install Type page, click Custom and then click Next.
- On the Custom Install Type page, click Select components to install on this computer and then click Next.
- On the Select Platforms page, expand the CommServe node, select CommServe SNMP Enabler and then click Next.
- On the Summary page, review the selected platforms and then click Install.
- On the Windows Firewall Exclusion List page, click the Add programs to the Windows Firewall Exclusion List check box to add CommCell programs and services to the Windows Firewall Exclusion List.
This option enables CommCell operations across Windows firewall by adding CommCell programs and services to Windows firewall exclusion list.
We recommend you to select this option, even if Windows firewall is disabled, to allow CommCell programs and services to function if Windows firewall is enabled at a later time.
- On the SNMP Trap Configuration page, use the following steps to add computer groups and trap destinations to the SNMP service:
- In the Community Name box, type a name for the group of computers that will receive SNMP traps.
- Click Add to List to add the name of the community to the drop down menu.
- Click Add to add a destination computer that will receive the SNMP traps.
- In the popup window, specify the hostname, IP or IPX address of the destination computer and then click OK.
- Click Add again to specify more destination computers.
After adding all the computers, click Next.
- On the Completion Report page, click Finish.
Note: A Management Information Base (MIB) file is automatically installed when the SNMP Enabler is installed. This file is located at software_installation_path\MIB\Simpana.mib.
After the CommServe SNMP Enabler is installed, you need to configure the Windows SNMP Service in order to set up SNMP email alerts in the CommCell. See Setting Up Alerts and Notifications (SNMP Traps) for more information.