Advanced Backup Options (Media)
You can select advanced backup/archive media options for the operation. Note that all the options described in this help may not be available and only the options displayed in the dialog box are applicable to the agent or enabler for which the information is being displayed.
Start New Media
This option starts the backup/migration/archive operation on a new media, which causes the following to occur:
- If removable media is used, the current active media is marked as Appendable and a new media is used for the backup/migration/archive.
- If disk media is used, a new volume folder is created for the backup/migration/archive.
If cleared, the operation automatically uses the current active media or volume.
When using the Informix iDataAgent, if you are using tape and do all of the following, the tape will be marked full for both the data storage policy and the logical logs storage policy, and new media will be made available for both the logs and data even though you are backing up just the logical logs:
- Define a subclient with different storage policies for the logical logs and the data
- Prepare to back up just the logical logs
- Select the Start new media option before you start the backup
This option marks media full, 2 minutes after the completion of the backup/archive operation. If any jobs are initiated within the 2 minutes, they are allowed to write to the media. If the job was associated with the prior media, new media (such as a new tape) will be used for subsequent jobs. (Applies to all backup/archive types.)
Allow other Schedule to use Media Set
This option allows jobs that are part of a schedule policy or schedule and using a specific storage policy to start a new media and also prevent other jobs from writing to the set of media. It is available only when the Start New Media and Mark Media Full options are enabled, and can be used in the following situations:
- When one scheduled job initiates several jobs and you only want to start new media on the first job.
- When you want to target specific backups to a media, or a set of media if multiple streams are used.
Override Job Retention
- Infinite: Select this option to retain this job indefinitely.
- Number of Days: Select this option to prune this job after the number of days specified.
- Storage Policy Default: Select this option to apply the retention rules of the associated storage policy, which is the default option.