Direct-Attached Shared Libraries - Configuration
Use this procedure to configure a direct-attached shared library.
On the ribbon in the CommCell Console, click the Storage tab, and then click Library and Drive.
- Under Available MediaAgents, select the MediaAgents that are attached to the library and on which the library needs to be configured and then click Add >>.
- To configure any shared library, make sure that you select all of the MediaAgents that share the library.
- If a device has already been configured for the MediaAgent, the device appears in the Library and Drive Configuration dialog box.
- For cluster, select the cluster server as the MediaAgent.
- Click OK to continue.
- In the Detect Library dialog box, choose the appropriate options:
- SCSI Devices - If your library is attached to the SCSI or Fibre Channel (FC) Adapter.
- Detect on Selected MediaAgents in Parallel - If you are performing the detection for multiple MediaAgents.
- Automatically create DDS Drivepools - If your library is attached to multiple MediaAgents in a SAN environment.
- NDMP Devices - If your library is attached to a NAS filer.
- Exhaustive Detection - Only for libraries without Drive IDs support.
Optionally, from the Processing dialog box you can perform the following operations:
- Click Abort to stop the exhaustive detection operation and then unmount any mounted media from the drives.
- Click View Log to display the Log dialog box that reports the status of each task that is performed during the exhaustive detection operation.
- When the detection process is completed, the log file appears. Note the log file contents, and then click Close.
A message appears, that asks you to right-click the device for configuration. Click OK.
The Library and Drive Configuration dialog box displays a master drive pool (with a drive pool and the associated drives) for each of the MediaAgents that share the library.
- If you want to modify library properties, right-click the library, and then select Properties.
In the Library Properties dialog box, you can change the following properties:
- Alias: Allows you to specify a descriptive name for the library. This name appears in the CommCell Browser for the library. We recommend that you give each library a descriptive name for easier system administration.
- Automatically create storage policy for new Datapaths: This option indicates that the system must automatically create new storage policies during library configuration. This option enabled by default.
- On the Library and Drive Configuration dialog box, right-click the library that you want to configure, and then click Configure.
- The Configuration dialog box appears. Select one of the following options:
- Library only if you want to configure the drives individually.
- Library and all drives if you want to configure all of the drives within the library (for example if you are doing a typical library installation).
- If the library has a barcode reader, the Discover Media Options dialog box is displayed. Perform one of the following:
- To discover the media in the library automatically, select the default media type, and then click Yes.
- To manually discover the media manually, click No.
Ensure that media is discovered before you use the library for backup operations.
The status of the drive pools and their constituent drives changes to configured.
The Library tab provides the physical view of the devices (library and drives).
Provides information about Device Detection, Exhaustive Device Detection, and SCSI 3 drive identification.
Describes the various library operations that can be performed from the CommCell Console.
Provides information about installing and configuring the device drivers.
Describes the various media-related operations that can be performed in a tape library.