Staging Backup Data Using DASH Copy
The CommCell operations can continue from the standby CommServe if all the libraries containing the backup data of clients are readily accessible from the standby CommServe. However, if all the libraries are not accessible from the standby CommServe, you can create a secondary copy of the critical backup data on a library that is accessible from the standby CommServe. DASH Copy is an ideal solution for off-site copies to recovery site.
High-Level Process Flow
The process flow for replicating the critical backup data from production site to the standby site using DASH copy involves the following tasks in the order listed:
- Install the MediaAgents.
Install the following MediaAgents:
- MediaAgent 1 - This MediaAgent is used for performing backup of critical data from the clients in the production CommServe. This must be set up in the production site and has access to Library1. The primary copy of the critical data will be stored in Library 1.
- MediaAgent 2 - This MediaAgent is used to create a secondary copy of the critical data. You must install this MediaAgent as a separate instance, with a different host name, on the standby CommServe.
Ensure that this MediaAgent is a client of the production CommServe and has access to Library2. The secondary copy of the critical data will be stored in Library2.
- Create disk libraries.
Create the following disk libraries from the production CommCell Console:
- Library 1 - This library is controlled by MediaAgent 1. You can use a local mount path on the machine where MediaAgent 1 is installed. The primary copy of the critical data will be stored in this library.
- Library 2 - This library is controlled by MediaAgent 2. You can use a local mount path on the machine where MediaAgent 2 is installed. The secondary copy of the critical data will be stored in this library.
- Create a storage policy.
Create a storage policy in the production CommCell to backup the critical data on the clients. Ensure the following when you create a storage policy:
- The Library1 is the default library for the primary copy.
- The MediaAgent1 is the default MediaAgent for the primary copy.
- Deduplication is enabled for the primary copy and the Enable Client Side Deduplication check box is selected.
- Create a storage policy copy with deduplication.
Ensure the following when you create a storage policy copy:
- Library 2 and MediaAgent2 are the default library and MediaAgent for the secondary copy.
- DASH copy is enabled with Network Optimized Copy option.
- Perform a full backup.
You must configure a separate subclient for the critical data on each client and then perform its full backup using the storage policy for which the DASH copy is configured. The backup data is stored in the Library1. You can perform the backup for each client that contains the critical data.
- Perform an Auxiliary Copy operation.
The Auxiliary copy operations creates the secondary copy of the data in the Library 1 to Library 2. The Library 1 is located on the machine where MediaAgent 1 is installed and contains all the backups of the critical data. The Library 2 is located on the machine where MediaAgent 2 is installed.
- Schedule backups.
Schedule an incremental backup of the critical data on each client to ensure that all the latest changes are available in Library 1.
- Schedule auxiliary copy operation.
Create a time based schedule of an auxiliary copy operation to create secondary copy of all the latest changes in Library 2.
- Update the CommServe name for the critical clients and MediaAgents to the Standby CommServe host name. See Updating the CommServe Name for Clients and MediaAgents.
- Test restoring the data to a specific client from the standby CommServe host.
When you switch CommCell operations from the production CommServe to standby CommServe, you should restore data from at least one client. This will ensure that the critical data is accessible and retrievable from the standby CommServe. For example, to restore Windows File System client data, see Perform a Restore.