Cataloging a Tape
Read metadata directly from a tape containing jobs unknown to the CommServe database.
Before you begin
Login to CommCell Console as user with CommCell level Administrative Management capability.
Users with Installation, Library Management, and MediaAgent Management capabilities on the MediaAgent and the Library will be able to perform tape catalog operation.
Ensure that the following information is available:
- The barcodes of the tapes that contain the backup data.
- Media Passwords, if the media belongs to a foreign CommCell.
If you are recovering data from spanned media, make sure all tapes are available
Disable all activity at the CommServe to avoid existing tapes getting discovered as empty media and being picked up and overwritten by backup jobs.
Keep all activities disabled until all tapes inserted are in the Catalog Media group.
About this task
Cataloging a tape creates an index which you can view to select which jobs to merge into the CommServe database for browse and restore.
- Insert the tape in a free slot of the tape library in the CommCell.
- From the CommCell Console, navigate to Storage Resources | Libraries | <Tape Library> | Media By Location | Media in Library. The right pane of the CommCell Console displays all the tapes available in the tape library.
- Use the Barcode column to identify the tape that contains the required backup data.
- Right-click the tape and click Options and then click Mark for Catalog. The tape will be moved to the Catalog Media group.
The media should be moved to the Catalog Media group to avoid the media from getting overwritten. You may now enable any disabled activity.
- From the CommCell Console, navigate to Storage Resources | Libraries | <Tape Library> | Media By Groups | Catalog Media. The right pane of the CommCell Console displays all the tapes available for cataloging.
- Use the Barcode column to identify all the tapes that contain the required backup data.
- Right-click the tape and click All Tasks | Catalog. The Catalog Media dialog box appears.
- If the media belongs to a foreign CommCell, click the Media Password tab on the Catalog Media dialog box and enter the password required to read the data on the selected tape.
- Click OK on the Catalog Media dialog box. The Catalogue Media operation starts. You can monitor the progress using the Job Controller.