Client Access License - FAQ
- How does a Data Aging job impact my usage?
- How do I use this license if I have upgraded from a previous version?
- How is an evaluation license calculated during upgrade?
- How often is the license count recalculated?
- How much data growth should I anticipate?
- What do I do when the license usage reaches its limits?
- What happens if the license usage is exceeded?
- Why is the Reset button not available?
After a data aging operation, the usage for the Content Indexed Objects license is recalculated.
When you upgrade the CommServe to the current software version, an Evaluation version of the Archived Mailboxes CAL license is automatically installed:
The evaluation license is valid for 180 days. To obtain a permanent license, contact your software provider. See Client Access License - Getting Started for more information.
Evaluation licenses are available for Archived Mailboxes and Content Indexed Objects. The total number of elements allowed by each license is equal to two times the actual number of elements used in the CommCell. For example:
For the Archived Mailboxes License
- If the number of mailboxes multiplied by 2 is less than or equal to 100, then the license allows 100 mailboxes.
For example, assume you have 40 mailboxes. The license will allow you to use 100 mailboxes, because 40 x 2 is less than 100.
- If the number of mailboxes multiplied by 2 is greater than 100, then the license allows the number of mailboxes resulting from the multiplication.
For example, assume you have 60 mailboxes. The license will allow you to use 120 mailboxes, because 60 x 2 is greater than 100.
For the Content Indexed Objects License
- If the number of objects multiplied by 2 is less than or equal to 10,000,000, then the license allows 10,000,000 content indexed objects.
For example, assume you have 4,000,000 content indexed objects. The license will allow you to content index 10,000,000 objects, because 4,000,000 x 2 is less than 10,000,000.
- If the number of objects multiplied by 2 is greater than 10,000,000, then the license allows the number of content indexed objects resulting from the multiplication.
For example, assume you have 6,000,000 content indexed objects. The license will allow you to content index 12,000,000 objects, because 6,000,000 x 2 is greater than 10,000,000.
The license count displayed in the Usage tab of the License Administration dialog box is updated every 24-hours, unless the CommServe services are restarted.
The amount of data can grow if more Exchange or Notes mailboxes are configured in the CommCell.
Content indexing will grow along with the size of the data being protected.
If you have reached the available usage for a CAL license, do the following:
- Reset the license usage from the License Administration dialog box to reactivate the CommCell for 72 hours.
Refer to Usage Calculation - Addressing Over-Usage Situations for more information.
- Contact your software provider to obtain a new license.
When the license usage reaches 110%, backup jobs go into waiting state. However, you can resume the jobs by resetting the license usage. The CommServe will display a message in the Event Viewer when no more resets can be performed.
You can reset the license usage from the License Administration dialog box. The Reset button is not available if you have performed the reset operation 10 times.