If you want to analyze large amounts of log data from multiple clients in your environment, you can set up monitoring policies to collect and filter the log data. Monitoring policies help you capture log events to efficiently analyze and monitor the state of your environment.
During the monitoring process, log events are filtered based on the log criteria specified in the monitoring policy. When the criteria matches one or more log events, the monitoring policy collects the information and stores it in the database. You can monitor the collected log data using one of the following approaches:
- Setting up a notification system for each monitoring policy
- Generating a report
- Searching log data using the Log Monitoring dashboard in the Web Console
Supported Data SourcesYou can monitor a variety of system-generated logs:
- Text log files, such as NetApp logs and csv logs
- CommServe database logs, which include Audit Trail, CommCell alerts and Event Viewer logs
- Windows events, such as System Event and Application Event logs
- UNIX system logs
The log monitoring solution includes the following features:
Log Data Collection and Log Management
You can use monitoring policies to accomplish the following goals:
- Capture the log data to quickly address future issues and to aid troubleshooting cases
- Collect log messages from multiple sources, such as Windows, UNIX, and NetApp logs
- Monitor the logs in real time, or schedule the policy to run at specific intervals.
Customizable Log Data Capture
You can set additional options to capture the log data that you want to monitor. For example, you can use keywords and filtering criteria to collect specific log events.
Alerts for Log Activity
You can set up alerts, such as email or Console alerts, to receive notifications when a specific log event occurs.
Reports of Log Activity
You can generate reports from the CommCell Console to review the log events captured by the monitoring polices, and to analyze the log activity during specific time intervals.
Log Monitoring Dashboard
You can use the Log Monitoring dashboard on the Web Console to search for log data, create reports based on your searches, and upload new log files for immediate log data analysis.