Validating a Monitoring Policy Template
Validating a template involves testing a piece of log data against an existing template. Use this procedure to determine if a template has the necessary properties to read a particular log. For example, we recommend that you validate a template before creating a monitoring policy for text-based logs.
You can also use this procedure If you skipped the validation step during the template creation.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Policies.
- Right-click Monitoring Policies and click Manage Templates.
- In the Manage Templates dialog box, click Validate.
- In the Template Validation dialog box, select the template and specify the log data you want to validate:
- From the Select Template list, select the template on which you want to run validation tests.
- In the Enter text to be validated box, copy and paste one or more lines from a log that meets the properties specified in the selected template.
- Click Validate.
If the validation succeeds, the table displays the columns defined in the template and their respective values extracted from the log lines. If the validation fails, use one of the following approaches:
- If you validated a predefined template, then the template does not meet your log requirements. You might have to create your own template.
- If you validated a template you created, check the template properties and make the required corrections. If the corrections change the original scope of the template, we suggest that you create a different template.
- Click OK.
- In the Manage Templates dialog box, click OK.