Cleaning Media - Overview
Several features to manage cleaning media is provided. The following sections provides a detailed discussion on the subject.
When you import a cleaning media, the system automatically assigns it to the cleaning media pool. For comprehensive information on importing see Import Media.
When you discover cleaning media, the system automatically assigns it to the Cleaning Media pool.
The Cleaning Media pool is the logical repository for the cleaning media in the library. When you configure a library for the first time, the system creates a Cleaning Media pool for each library.
- Use the General tab of the Cleaning Media Group Properties dialog box to modify the following:
- Cleaning media pool name: If necessary you can provide a descriptive name, for easier system administration.
- Low Watermarks: You can establish a low watermark for the cleaning media pool. This parameter represents the minimum number of cleaning media that should be available in the cleaning media pool at all times. If the number of available cleaning media falls below the low watermark, the system logs a message in the Event Viewer and generates the Insufficient Storage alert, if configured. You can view the status of media available in the scratch pools by generating the Scratch Pool report.
- Use the BarCode Patterns tab of the Cleaning Media Group Properties dialog box to assign the barcode patterns for automatic identification of the cleaning media in the library. If the barcodes patterns are assigned and if the Enable Auto-Discovery of media into default scratch pool option is enabled in the Library Properties dialog box, cleaning media with matching barcodes will be automatically moved to the Cleaning Media pool. (For more information on the Enable Auto-Discovery of media into default scratch pool option, see Auto-Discover Media.)
Consider the following when the automatic media discovery option is not enabled, or if you have not assigned the barcode patterns for cleaning media:
- Make sure that the Cleaning Media pool contains only the cleaning media.
- A cleaning media will be identified (and automatically moved to the Cleaning Media pool) when it is mounted in a drive during a drive validation or data protection operation only when the Check for cleaning media loaded in the Drive option is enabled in the Drive tab of Library Properties dialog box.
Cleaning media can be marked as Bad, if necessary.
Cleaning Media Pool is not applicable for Stand-alone drives.
The Media Properties provides general information about the cleaning media.