Update Media Barcodes - Overview
The ability to update barcodes associated with the media ensures that the data available in the media is accessible. There are several situations in which the barcode may have to be renamed in order to read the data available in the library. For example:
- When a libraries firmware is upgraded, or when a hardware is replaced a different barcode pattern may apply.
In such cases, the system automatically updates the media barcodes if the Automatically update barcodes on firmware changes option is enabled in the Advanced tab of the Library Properties. (See Automatically update barcodes on firmware changes for more information.)
If this option is disabled, and the barcodes are changed after a firmware upgrade all existing media, including media with data and spare media will be marked as exported and a new set of media (with new barcodes) will be listed inside the library. In this situation, you must update the barcodes as described in Manually Updating Media Barcodes after a Firmware Upgrade.
- When performing the Change Data Path operation from one library to another. Although the new library may have compatible drives, it may have a different barcode pattern.
- When data is required to be restored from another compatible library with a different barcode pattern. (See Restore From Anywhere and Restore Data Using a Specific MediaAgent, Library or Drive Pool.)
- When the media is used to restore data in a hot-site with another compatible library. (See MediaAgent Hardware Refresh for more information.)
The system provides the ability to
- Rename barcodes in bulk, or
- Rename the barcode associated with an individual media