Recover Archived Data
The system provides a powerful set of recovery options that enable you to specify and recover only the data you need. To properly specify the data, you should have a basic understanding of how the system recovers data. Due to the wide variety of recovery options, this discussion is based on the operations supported by each Agent.
Given below is a list of supported Agents. The corresponding linked page provides information on the Agent specific recovery options and procedures.
- Recover Data - Domino Mailbox Archiver Agent
- Getting Started Recover - Exchange Mailbox Archiver Agent
- Getting Started Recover - Exchange Public Folder Archiver Agent
- Recover Data - File Archiver Windows Agent
- Recover Data - SharePoint Archiver
For the File Archiver Agents, you can enter a path to the archive files that you want to recover from the CommCell Console. For an overview, see Basic Restore.
From the CommCell Console, Browse operations allow you to view the archived data providing access to the subclient's mailboxes or volumes, directories/folders and files. This enables you to easily identify the messages or files that you want to recover.
The Browse/Recovery window in the CommCell Console is the central window from which you browse and recover data. Recovery operations retrieve the data from the storage media and recover it to the desired location. See Browse Data for a more detailed discussion of the Browse feature.
The Outlook Add-In for Exchange Mailbox/Public Folder Archiver Agents allows you to perform browse and recovery operations from Outlook. This feature facilitates end-user recovery of archived messages in their inboxes through the convenience of browsing. See Restore from Outlook - End Users - Outlook Add-In for step-by-step instructions.
Alternate methods of recovering messages, files, or documents from stubs are available through the following supported third-party applications:
- NetWare System Console (File Archiver for NetWare)
- Outlook (See Recall Messages - Outlook Application)
- Outlook Web Access (OWA)
- SharePoint Server (SharePoint Archiver Agents)
- Windows Explorer (File Archiver for Windows/NetWare)
When performing non-browse recovery of archived data from disk media or tape, the system maintains a common open pipeline known as a persistent pipeline for multiple stub recall requests. The pipeline stays persistent for 20 minutes (by default) to reduce the time to open a pipeline for each individual stub recall request.
The Find feature is a powerful search tool that searches the archived data for any messages or files that match the pattern used in the search. While a browse operation allows you to view the archived data in a random manner, enabling you to select data for recovery, the Find operation lets you use the system to locate messages or files with specific naming patterns. See Find Data for more information on the Find feature.
For File Archiver Agents, you can click the Job Retry tab in the Advanced Restore Options dialog box to access the Job Retries and Job Running Time options, when you perform a data recovery operation.
For File Archiver Agents and Exchange Mailbox/Public Folder Archiver Agents, you can specify the maximum number of allowed restart attempts and the interval between restart attempts for all data recovery jobs. For procedures, see Specify Job Restartability for the CommCell.
To avoid common problems, review the following before starting a recovery operation:
Verify that the CommServe, MediaAgent and media library are powered on.
You have successfully archived the data you are attempting to recover.
Verify that the media from which you wish to perform the recovery is available in the CommCell. Use the List Media feature to identify the media required by the recovery operation.
Always ensure that sufficient space has been allocated for the recovery.
- Exchange data that has been archived with pass-phrase encryption cannot be recovered from Outlook or OWA, but can be recovered by performing a Browse and Recovery operation from the CommCell Console.
- Before you can perform Non-Browse Recovery (i.e., stub recovery) operation of encrypted data (i.e., using pass-phrase security) from Windows Explorer or a Unix Terminal Window, you must export the pass-phrase to the local computer. Refer to Data Encryption for the procedure to export the pass-phrase, and what action to take if you have changed the encryption settings for your client since the data was archived.
If a subclient is configured with the Do not create stub archiving rule option enabled, the archived files will be removed from the computer and a stub recovery via Outlook, OWA, Internet Browser (e.g., Explorer), Windows Explorer, or Unix Terminal Window is not possible. To recover files that were archived using this option, perform a Browse Recovery from the CommCell Console.
If you wish to recover data that has been aged, see Accessing Aged Data for information on recovering such data and saving the media containing the data for future use.
After recovering data, check the Recovery Job History to view the list of messages/files that were successfully recovered.