SnapProtect - Microsoft Hyper-V - Configuration
Once the Virtual Server iDataAgent has been installed on all the hosts in a Hyper-V Cluster, create a Hyper-V client for the Hyper-V Cluster and a subclient to facilitate backups.
If you plan to use SnapVault or SnapMirror, use the appropriate storage policy based on the type of snapshot, such as NetApp 7-Mode and Cluster-Mode snapshots. For NetApp 7-Mode snapshots, use storage policies associated with OnCommand Unified Manager 5.0, 5.1, or 5.2. For NetApp Cluster-Mode snapshots, use storage policies associated with OnCommand Unified Manager 6.0, 6.1, 6.2 6.3P1, 6.4P1, or 7.0.
Most capabilities of data ONTAP 7-Mode apply, however cascaded replication of primary to snapvault to snapmirror on a single policy is not supported.
The following sections provide the necessary steps required to create and configure these components for a first backup of a single virtual machine.
- From the CommCell Browser, right-click the Client Computers node and click New Client | Virtualization | Microsoft Hyper-V.
- On the Create Microsoft Hyper-V Client dialog:
- For Client Name, enter a unique client name to describe the virtualization client. Do not use the host name of an existing client.
- Enter the credentials required to access the Hyper-V server or cluster.
Ensure that the user name you enter is part of the following administrator groups on the Hyper-V host:
- Local Administrators group (for Hyper-V Server 2008 R2)
- Any user that is part of Hyper-V Administrators group (for Hyper-V Server 2012 and later)
For a Hyper-V cluster, the user account must have full Cluster Permissions (Read and Full Control).
- Click Add to identify one or more Hyper-V client nodes.
- Select the host from the Exclude list.
The list displays all the computers which has Virtual Server iDataAgent installed on it.
You must include all the hosts from the Hyper-V cluster as the nodes of the Hyper-V client.
Once you click OK, a virtual client gets created.
- Click OK.
Once you click OK a virtual client gets created. As this virtual client includes all the nodes in the Hyper-V cluster, the data in the cluster will be seamlessly backed up even if the virtual machine migrates from one host to another.
- From the CommCell Browser, navigate to Client Computers | <Microsoft Hyper-V Client> | Virtual Server | Hyper-V | defaultBackupSet.
Right-click the defaultBackupSet and click All Tasks | New Subclient.
Enter the Subclient name.
- Click the Content tab.
Navigate to the virtual machine which you want to backup and select the virtual machine.
The selected virtual machine appears in the Contents of a subclient list.
- In the Subclient Properties of dialog box: Click Storage Device tab. Ensure that a Storage Policy is selected.
Proceed to the Backup page.