Secondary Copy (Synchronous Copy)
A secondary copy provides the means to make additional copies of the data located on the primary copy. Secondary Copies are useful when you want to make consistent point-in-time copies of data within the cycle. In a Synchronous Copy, all backup jobs (full, incremental, differential, transaction log or archive job) that are written to the primary copy are copied.
An Auxiliary Copy operation must be performed to replicate the data to the secondary copy.
Although a secondary copy can use the same library as the primary, we recommend you to use a different library for a secondary copy.
Note: You cannot enable deduplication after creation of a synchronous copy. To configure deduplication, you must enable deduplication at the time of copy creation. For instructions, see Creating a Storage Policy Copy with Deduplication.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Policies | Storage Policies.
- Right-click the appropriate storage policy, point to All Tasks, and then click Create New Copy.
- In the Copy Properties dialog box, specify the following settings.
- In the Copy Name box, type a name for the storage policy copy.
- From the Library list, select the name of a library.
- From the MediaAgent list, select the name of a MediaAgent.
- From the Drive Pool list, select the name of a drive pool.
- From the Scratch Pool list, select the name of the scratch pool.
Drive Pool and Scratch Pool are applicable only for tape libraries.
- Click OK.
- In the Auxiliary Copy Schedule dialog box, click OK to accept the default schedules.
The synchronous copy appears in the right pane of the CommCell Console.
- Run an Auxiliary Copy operation to copy the data to the secondary copy.
See Performing an Auxiliary Copy for instructions.