Tools - Executing Other Applications from the CommCell Console
You can execute any application directly from the CommCell Console. For example, you can configure a Remote Desktop connection option to be accessed by any client in the CommCell (at the CommServe, MediaAgent and/or client level).
Use the following steps to configure and run a Remote Desktop connection:
- On the CommCell Console ribbon, click the Home tab, and then click Control Panel.
- Under the Others section, click Quick Access Tools.
- Click Add.
- In the Alias Name box, type Remote Desktop Connection. This is the name you will see in the CommCell Console.
- From the Tool Type list, select EXECUTABLE.
- In the Executable Name box, type mstsc.
- In the Parameters box, type -v:$%CLIENT_NET_HOSTNAME%$.
%CLIENT_NET_HOSTNAME% is a tokenized parameter which will automatically retrieve the hostname of the CommServe, MediaAgent or client computer you are trying to access.
- From the OS Type list, select Windows.
- By default, the tool is associated to all clients in the CommCell. If you want to associate this tool to a specific client/MediaAgent, clear All and select the client from the Associate tool to list.
- By default, the tool is selected to run on the computer where the CommCell Console is installed. If you want to run this tool from the CommServe or client computer, select the computer from the Run tool on list.
- Click Enable.
- In the Description box, specify the usage of this option.
- Click the Security tab.
- By default the tool is only visible to you. To make the option visible to other users, select Public and move user groups to the Associated Groups box.
- Click OK.
- Review the new tool in the quick access tools list, and then click OK.
- From the CommCell Browser, navigate to your client computer.
- Right-click the <client> and click Tools | Remote Desktop Connection.
The Remote Desktop session is launched on the CommCell Console computer.