Virtualize Me - Windows - Prerequisites
Before you convert a Windows computer into a virtual machine, you must do the following:
- Install Operations Manager on the CommServe
- Set Up a 1-Touch Server
- Set Up a Client Computer
- Install the Virtual Server iDataAgent
The CommServe computer must have Operations Manager software installed. For instructions on installing Operations Manager, see Operations Manager.
For more information, refer to Install the CommServe - Interactive Install - Custom.
Follow these steps to set up a 1-Touch server.
Important: If you have already installed the 1-Touch server as part of performing 1-Touch Recovery, it is not required to install the 1-Touch Server software again for Virtualize Me. You can use the same ISO across multiple CommCells.
- Verify that the computer that you want to set up as the 1-Touch Server meets the System Requirements for 1-Touch Server.
- Install the 1-Touch Server software. For more information, refer to Deployment - 1-Touch for Windows.
- Configure the remote server cache on the 1-Touch server. For more information, refer to Configure a Remote Cache for 1-Touch Server.
- Download all of the software updates for the 1-Touch Server software, Windows File System iDataAgent, and WinPE. For more information, refer to Download and Install Updates on 1-Touch Server.
- Apply the updates to the Live CD image. For more information, refer to Apply updates in 1-Touch Server Cache to 1-Touch Live CD image.
The client computer is the computer that you want to convert into a virtual machine. Follow the steps given below to set up the client computer.
- Verify that the computer meets the minimum requirements specified in System Requirements.
You cannot convert the Windows computer into a virtual machine when:
- The computer has Windows XP operating system.
- The computer has Windows operating system installed on a disk other than its first disk.
- The computer has Windows operating system installed on a drive other than the C drive.
- Install the Windows File System iDataAgent on the computer. For more information, refer to Getting Started - Windows File System Deployment.
When you convert a client into a virtual machine, a temporary client is created in the CommServe and is deleted after the operation completes. The temporary client has the client name: <ip address of the original client> or <ip address assigned to the client with WinPE>. Before you start the virtualization operation, make sure that a client with the same name does not exist in the CommServe.
Make sure that the Virtual Server iDataAgent is installed on at least one client computer in the CommCell. For more information, refer to Getting Started - VMware Deployment.
- Install the Virtual Server Agent on all client computers that is to be virtualized in the CommCell Console. For more information, see Deployment - Virtual Server Agent for Microsoft Hyper-V.
|Virtual Server Agent||Virtual Server|
|1-Touch for Windows||1-Touch Server for MS Windows|