Data Aging - Exchange Compliance Archiver Agent
Data Aging is the process of removing old data from secondary storage to allow the associated media to be reused for future backups.
By default, all backup data is retained infinitely. However, you should change the retention of your data based on your needs. Note that if you continue to have infinite retention, you will also need infinite storage capacity.
Setting Up the Basic Retention Rule
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Policies | Storage Policies | <Storage Policy>.
- Right-click the appropriate storage policy copy, and then click the Properties.
- In the Copy Properties dialog box, click the Retention tab.
- Under Basic Retention Rule for All Backups, click the Retain For.
- Enter number of days to retain the data.
- Enter number of cycles to retain the data.
- Click OK.
- In the Confirm Basic Retention dialog box, click Yes.
On the ribbon in the CommCell Console, click the Reports tab, and then click Forecast.Under Reports pane, Data Retention Forecast and Compliance is selected by default.
- Click Run.
- The report will display the data to be pruned when a data aging job is run.
To ensure only data intended for aging is actually aged, it is important to identify the data that will be aged based on the retention rules you have configured. Hence, ensure this report includes only the data you intend to age.
If necessary, fine-tune your rules so that only the intended data is aged.
Once you run a data aging job, the data will be pruned.
Running the Data Aging Job
- From the CommCell Console, right click the CommServe node, point to All Tasks and then click Data Aging.
In the Data Aging Options dialog box, click OK.
- You can track the progress of the job from the Job Controller window. When the job is completed, in the Job Controller the Status will be displayed as Completed.
Make sure that the job completes successfully. If the job did not complete successfully, rerun the job.
Provides comprehensive information on additional Data Aging capabilities.