SnapProtect – EMC VMAX/Symmetrix - MySQL iDataAgent
|Overview||Deployment - Unix||Configuration||Select Storage Array|
|Backup||Vault or Mirror Copy||Backup Copy||Restore|
- SYMAPI Feature: BASE /Symmetrix licenses for TimeFinder Snap, TimeFinder Mirror, TimeFinder Clone, and TimeFinder VP Snap.
Use the following command to check the licenses on the host computer:
C:\SYMAPI\Config> type symapi_licenses.dat
- By default, all functionality is already enabled in the EMC VMAX / Symmetrix hardware layer. However, you must enable a Hardware Configuration File (IMPL) before using the array. Contact an EMC Representative to ensure TimeFinder and Symmetrix Remote Data Facility (SRDF) functionalities have been configured.
Ensure that the following software is installed:
- EMC Solutions Enabler (6.4 or higher) installed on the client and proxy computers for EMC Symmetrix
- EMC Solutions Enabler (7.2 or higher) installed on the client and proxy computers for EMC VMAX
Client Components (SYMCLI) are required only during the initial one-time configuration. Base Components (with SYMAPI) are necessary and required for all snap operations.
SYMCLI and SYMAPI do not need to be installed on source host when Remote Snap MA is configured for VMAX.
For SnapProtect to function appropriately, make LUN Masking records/views accessible from the host where the backup will take place:
- For DMX, the Masking and Mapping record for vcmdb must be accessible on the host executing the backup.
- For VMAX, the Masking view must be created for the host executing the backup.
The Remote Snap MediaAgent feature enables to configure a particular MediaAgent as Remote Snap MediaAgent. When using the Remote Snap MediaAgent, there is no need to install Solution Enabler on client and proxy computers. Enable this feature in the array configuration option Remote Snap MA by entering the client name.
Install EMC Solutions Enabler 7.2 or later on the Remote Snap MediaAgent computer.
If EMC Solutions Enabler installer is not available for a specific 32 bit platform, use Remote Snap MediaAgent installed on a different platform.
Follow the vendor recommendation for the number of gatekeeper devices.
Setup the EMC VMAX/Symmetrix
Configure Symmetrix Gatekeepers
Use the following command on each MediaAgent computer, to define gatekeepers for the Symmetrix API to communicate with the array.
symgate define -sid <Symmetrix array ID> dev <Symmetrix device name>
where <Symmetrix device name> is a numbered and un-formatted Symmetrix device (e.g., 00C) which has the MPIO policy set as FAILOVER in the MPIO properties of the gatekeeper device.
Load the Symmetrix DatabaseIf you have the SYMCLI software installed, test your local Symmetrix environment by running the following command to ensure that the Symmetrix database is successfully loaded:
Set Up the Array Information
Provide the identification information for the array to ensure access. The following section provides step-by-step instructions for setting the array information.
The following section provides step-by-step instructions for setting up the array information.
- From the CommCell Browser, click the Storage tab and then click the Array Management icon.
- In the Array Management dialog box, click Add.
- Select EMC VMAX/Symmetrix from the Snap Vendor list.
Specify the Symm ID of the array in the Name field.
For reference purposes, the following image shows the Symmetrix array ID (Symm ID) for the EMC VMAX/Symmetrix storage device.
Click Change and enter the access information of a user with administrative privileges in the Username and Password fields in Enter User Name and Password dialog box.
No user credentials required in 10.0. For 9.0, the credentials used for login to web console may be used.
If Symcfg Authorization is enabled on the Symmetrix Management Console, enter the access information for the Symmetrix Management Console in the Username and Password fields.
Use the Description field to enter a description about the entity. This description can include information about the entity's content, cautionary notes, etc.
Click OK to save the information.