SnapProtect - Configuration - NAS iDataAgent
The software for the NAS iDataAgent is installed automatically as part of the MediaAgent installation. However, the client is not automatically created in the CommCell Console.
If you plan to use SnapVault or SnapMirror, use the appropriate storage policy based on the type of snapshot, such as NetApp 7-Mode and Cluster-Mode snapshots. For NetApp 7-Mode snapshots, use storage policies associated with OnCommand Unified Manager 5.0, 5.1, or 5.2. For NetApp Cluster-Mode snapshots, use storage policies associated with OnCommand Unified Manager 6.0, 6.1, 6.2 6.3P1, 6.4P1, or 7.0.
Most capabilities of data ONTAP 7-Mode apply, however cascaded replication of primary to snapvault to snapmirror on a single policy is not supported.
Follow the steps given below to create and configure the NAS client for a first SnapProtect backup. If the data you want to backup resides on a Storage Virtual Machine (vServer or vFiler), configure the Storage Virtual Machine as the NAS client.
- From the CommCell Browser, right-click Client Computers, point to New Client | File System, and then select NAS.
- Enter the NAS file server in the NDMP Server Hostname field.
- Enter the user account credentials used to access the storage device in the NDMP Login field.
- In the NDMP Password field, enter the password for the login account, and then click Detect.
The system automatically populates the Vendor, Firmware Revision, and Listen Port information.
- Click OK.
Depending on the File Server you are using, your screen may look different from the example shown.
Any NAS storage device that will be used for backing up secondary storage data (Vault, Mirror, or backup copy) must be configured as a NAS Client in the CommCell with the same name that is used by the OCUM server to communicate to the secondary NAS file server.
The subclient content must contain data that resides on the storage device volume; do not include local drives as subclient content. If you added a vFiler as a client, do not include the root volume.
Skip the following section if you already created a snapshot copy.
The following section provides step-by-step instructions for creating a Snapshot Copy for a Storage Policy.
- From the CommCell Browser, navigate to Policies | Storage Policies.
Right-click the <Storage_Policy> and click All Tasks | Create New Snapshot Copy.
- Specify the following to create a Snapshot Copy:
- Type the Copy Name in the Copy Name box.
- From the Library list, select the name of Library.
- From the MediaAgent list, select the name of a MediaAgent.
- From the Drive Pool list, select the name of a Drive Pool.
- From the Scratch Pool list, select the name of the Scratch Pool.
Drive Pool and Scratch Pool are not applicable for disk libraries.
- Click OK.
The newly created Snapshot Copy can be associated with the subclient from which the snap backup is performed. In this case, the Snapshot Copy acts as the primary copy and therefore will contain only the metadata information associated with the snapshot Backup.
A backup copy operation provides the capability to copy snapshots of the data to any media. It is useful for creating additional standby copies of data and can be performed during the SnapProtect backup or at a later time.
Follow the steps given below to configure Backup Copy for moving snapshots to media.