Enabling Automatic Backup of Control Files for All Oracle Subclients
Configure the instance to automatically back up the control file for all subclients in that instance. When you enable the control file autobackup feature, RMAN will be able to recover a database even when it cannot access the control and server parameter (SP) files. For more information on control file auto backups, go to the Oracle documentation website, control file autobackup.
The Oracle control file contains the physical database structure and is required for a full system recovery (disaster recovery) scenario. The Oracle SP file contains the database startup parameters.
The control file automatic backup option ensures that all changes to the physical database structure are included in a backup.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > Oracle.
- Right-click the instance and then click Properties.
- On the Details tab of the Instance Properties dialog box:
In the Ctrl File Autobackup box:
- Select Configure On to have the control file and server parameter file written to a separate autobackup piece during a backup. RMAN can recover the database even if the current control file, catalog, and server parameter file are lost.
- Select Configure Off to exclude the control file and SP file from all instance backups.
- Select Not Configure to keep the current setting.
- Click OK to close the Instance Properties dialog box.