Enabling Automatic Instance Discovery for Oracle Databases
Use the Enable Instance Discovery option to automatically discover databases.
CommCell instances are created for Oracle databases under the following conditions:
- Discovery is initiated every 168 hours. Change this interval by Setting the Automatic Discovery Frequency.
- When the Communications Service (GxCVD) is restarted (for example after a computer reboot).
Enabling Automatic instance discovery ensures that newly added Oracle databases are regularly accounted for backups.
The SnapProtect software only discovers instances defined in the Oracle oratab file, which is created by Oracle at installation and acts as a database registry file. On Solaris systems, this file is normally located in the /var/opt/oracle directory and on Linux/UNIX systems, it is located in the /etc directory.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers.
- Right-click client, and click Properties.
- On the Client Properties dialog box, check the Enable Instance Discovery check box and click OK.
- Set the default data storage policy for the instance's default subclient when it has not been set. See Setting the Data Storage Policy on the Default Subclient after Discovering Oracle Instances.
- Set the default command line backup and log backup storage policies when they have not been set. See Setting the Log Backup and Command Line Backup Storage Policies after Discovering Oracle Instances.
- The Oracle connect string for a discover instance is set to '/' by default. You can change the Oracle connect string. For more information, see Modifying the Oracle Connect String.
- Set the environment variables for the Oracle application directory and the Oracle Net Services configuration file. For more information, see Changing the Oracle Configuration Directories after Discovering Instances.
- Set up an operating system account and an Oracle user account. For more information, see Configuring User Accounts for Access to the Oracle Application and Database.
- Include the Oracle RMAN recovery catalogs in backups. For more information, see Enabling the Oracle RMAN Recovery Catalog.
- Disable the Oracle CROSSCHECK operation during data aging. For more information, see Disabling the Oracle RMAN Crosscheck.
- Include all control files for backups of this instance. For more information, see Enabling Automatic Backup of Control Files for All Oracle Subclients.
- Refresh the instance properties to ensure all subclient properties are available. For more information, see Subclients for CommCell Console Auto Discovered Instances May Have Unavailable Properties.