Configuring Subclients for Control File or SP File Backups for Oracle
The Oracle control file contains the physical database structure and is required for a full system recovery (disaster recovery) scenario.
The Oracle server parameter (SP) file contains the database startup parameters and are not included in backups by default.
You can configure the instance to automatically back up the control file for all subclients in that instance. For information on configuring the control file automatic backup, see Enabling Automatic Backup of Control Files for All Oracle Subclients.
Use this procedure to override the instance configuration options for a specific subclient.
Before You Begin
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > Oracle > instance.
- Right-click the instance, point to All Tasks and then click New Subclient.
The Create New Subclient dialog box appears.
- On the Content tab:
- Select the Backup Control File check box to include the control file in the backup.
- Select the Backup SP File check box to include the SP file in the backup.
- Optional: Select the subclient options.
- In the Pre-Backup Command box, type the full path name for the script.
- In the PostBackup Command box, type the full path name for the script.
- To run the post backup process regardless of the job's outcome, select the Run Post Process for all attempts check box.
- There is no physical and logical block corruption in the datafiles
- The database files exist and are in the correct location
- Click OK to close the Create New Subclient dialog box.
Run scripts before or after the backup
You can choose to run the post-process script even if the backup job failed.
To pass the database instance name to the script, see Passing the Instance Name to Pre and Post Scripts for Databases.
On the Pre/Post tab:
Uniquely identify the backup
On the Backup Arguments tab, select the Oracle Tag check box.
Enter a backup tag in the box.
You can include variables in the tag. See supported Oracle tag variables.
Have the SnapProtect software automatically validate backup jobs performed on this subclient
Backup validation checks for the following conditions:
RMAN simulates the backup job without the media to determine whether the backup can be successfully performed.
On the Backup Arguments tab, click the Options tab and then select the Validate check box.