Performing an Oracle Full Backup
You can use this procedure to back up the entire database and the control file. Backups of online databases also include the log file.
Tip: After you install the Oracle Agent, perform a full back to verify the configuration.
A full backup is the most comprehensive backup and is the baseline for incremental backups.
You can use tags to uniquely identify a backup. The Oracle tag that you specify for the backup overrides the tag defined for the subclient. You can use the tags to specify the backup to use for a restore operation.
Before You Begin
If the database is in NOARCHIVELOG mode, you must back up the database offline.
If the database is in ARCHIVELOG mode and database accessibility is a priority, perform an online backup of the database.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > Oracle > instance.
- Right-click the subclient and click Backup.
- On the Backup Options for Subclient dialog box, select the backup type and job initiation:
- In the Backup Type section, select Full.
- If you selected the Cumulative check box, specify the backup incremental level in the Oracle Incremental Level box.
- In the Job Initiation section, specify whether to run the backup now or if it will be scheduled.
Note: If you selected Schedule, set up the schedule.
For information on configuring a backup schedule, see Schedule Backups.
- Optional: Uniquely identify a backup.
- Click Advanced.
- On the Advanced Backup Options dialog box, click the Oracle Options tab, in the Oracle Tag box, enter a unique tag.
You can include variables in the tag. For supported tag variables, see Oracle Tag Variables.
- Click OK to close the Advanced Backup Options dialog box.
- Optional: Set the backup load distribution across disks to improve performance. For more information, see Configuring the Disk Ratio for Oracle RMAN.
- Optional: View or customize the RMAN script that is generated from the selected options. For instructions, see Viewing Oracle Backup RMAN Scripts and Customizing Oracle Backup RMAN Scripts.
- Click OK to close the Backup Options dialog box.