Configuring Oracle Subclients for Online Backups
In some environments, you cannot bring down a database to perform an offline backup. In such situations, you can perform an online backup, where the database is up and running during the backup.
You can perform either a full backup or incremental backup of the Oracle database when it is online.
Full backups include all the datafiles, tablespaces, and log files. Incremental backups include only the changed data and log files and take less time to run than full backups.
Optionally, you can configure a subclient to exclude the following data from backups:
- Read-only tablespaces
- Offline tablespaces
- Inaccessible datafiles and archived redo log files
Before You Begin
- Configure an instance for the Oracle database.
- Optional: You can have data and log backups use different compression. If you want to use the MediaAgent for compression for log backups, see Enabling MediaAgent Compression for Oracle or Oracle RAC Log Backups.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > Oracle.
- Right-click the instance, point to All Tasks and then click New Subclient.
The Create New Subclient dialog box appears.
- On the General tab, enter the Subclient name.
- On the Content tab, specify whether the backup is a full backup:
- Check the Data check box.
- Select Online Database.
- If this subclient is for full backups, select the Backup Control File and Backup SP File check boxes.
- On the Storage Device tab, select the name of the Data Storage Policy.
- On the Logs Backup tab, if this subclient is for full backups, select the Backup Archive Log check box.
- Optional: Select the subclient options.
Run scripts before or after the backup
You can choose to run the post-process script even if the backup job failed.
To pass the database instance name to the script, see Passing the Instance Name to Pre and Post Scripts for Databases.
On the Pre/Post tab:
- In the Pre-Backup Command box, type the full path name for the script.
- In the PostBackup Command box, type the full path name for the script.
- To run the post backup process regardless of the job's outcome, select the Run Post Process for all attempts check box.
Uniquely identify the backup
On the Backup Arguments tab, select the Oracle Tag check box.
Enter a backup tag in the box.
You can include variables in the tag. See supported Oracle tag variables.
Exclude tablespaces from the backup
On the Options tab, select the check boxes to exclude the following tablespaces from the backup.
- Read Only
Have the SnapProtect software automatically validate backup jobs performed on this subclient
Backup validation checks for the following conditions:
- There is no physical and logical block corruption in the datafiles
- The database files exist and are in the correct location
RMAN simulates the backup job without the media to determine whether the backup can be successfully performed.
On the Backup Arguments tab, click the Options tab and then select the Validate check box.
Use MediaAgent compression for log backups
You can use the MediaAgent for log backup compression when you use a non-deduplication storage policy.
- Click Storage Device.
- Click Data Transfer Option.
- Select Use Storage Policy Settings.
- Click OK to close the Subclient Properties dialog box.