Data Aging - OSSV Plug-In
New installations and upgrades are not supported in this release.
A new solution using NetApp Logical Replication will be available in a future service pack.
Data Aging is the process of removing old data from secondary storage to allow the associated media to be reused for future backups.
The OSSV Plug-In allows you to set the retention period (hours, days, weeks) through the OSSV policy. By default, all SnapVault snapshots (OSSV volume snapshots) are retained infinitely. However, you should change the retention of your data based on your needs. Note that if you continue to have infinite retention, you will also need infinite storage capacity.
- From the CommCell Browser, navigate to Policies | OSSV Policies.
- Right-click the OSSV policy and click Properties.
- Under Retention Policy, clear the Infinite check box.
- Select the time range from the drop-down list e.g., hours.
- Based on the time range selection, enter number of hours/days/weeks to retain the data.
- Click OK.
The OSSV Plug-In provides the capability to maintain SnapVault snapshots for longer periods of time. This capability is provided using registry keys as described in the section below.
Setting Up the Extended Retention Rules
By default, the last snapshot added to the database is selected for extended retention. To specify extended retention, some registry keys need to be used. For example, if the OSSV policy is set to keep snapshots for 10 days and the SaveDailySnaps registry key is set to 20 days, then for snapshots older than 10 days, the pruning will remove all but the last one on a day.
The extended retention can be either specified as follows:
- For extended retention to apply to all OSSV policies, use the SaveDailySnaps, or SaveWeeklySnaps registry keys.
- For extended retention to apply for a specific OSSV policy, use the <QRPolicyName>_daily, or <QRPolicyName>_weekly registry keys. This will override the extended retention applied to all OSSV policies.
If you change the name of an OSSV policy then it will be required to update the registry keys to use the updated name for extended retention of snapshots to work.
Provides comprehensive information on Data Aging capabilities for Storage Policies.