Deleting Orphaned BLOBs Using RBS Maintainer
When you delete the externalized SharePoint data, the data is deleted only from the SharePoint site but not from the BLOB store. These BLOBs do not prune until they are aged out of the web application and the site collection recycle bins.
You can remove these orphaned BLOBs by creating and periodically running the RBS Maintainer task for each content database.
- From the Windows Start menu, open the SharePoint Central Administration tool.
- Under Central Administration, click Application Management > Configure Remote BLOB Storage.
- Click the Web Application list and select a web application.
- Click Advanced. Advanced Options window is displayed.
- From the Content Database list, select a content database, and then click Next.
- In the RBS Maintainer window, create the RBS Maintainer task:
- In the Retention Time box, enter the number of days orphaned BLOBs are retained for BLOB identification and cleanup.
- In the Task Name box, enter a name for the RBS maintainer task.
- To obtain permissions for running the data migration job on the computer, enter the User Name and the Password.
- Select a frequency to run the RBS maintainer task.
You can select Run Now, or Daily, or Weekly, or Monthly.
- If you select Run Now, the task automatically runs after two minutes of the task creation. All the other RBS schedules are triggered from the Windows Task Scheduler. You can view and run all the scheduled tasks immediately from the Windows Task Scheduler.
- Delete the tasks associated for a content database manually from the task scheduler.
- Schedules run on the front-end servers on which they were configured. If you need to run multiple schedules simultaneously, log into the SharePoint Central Administration page and configure schedules on each front-end server.
- The number of days configured for a schedule is shared by all the other schedules created for a specific content database. For example, if you create a schedule with 30 days retention and then create another one with 45 days retention, both schedules will run with 45 days retention because that is the last saved retention period.
- Click OK.