Backup - Virtual Server Agent for VMware
The following entities are backed up:
- Virtual Machines (Windows and Linux)
- VMDK Files
- Virtual RDMs
- GPT or dynamic disk volumes
Disk filtering is supported only for streaming backups, not for SnapProtect or backup copies.
The following entities are not backed up:
- Virtual machines containing SCSI bus sharing set to virtual
- Virtual machines configured with Fault Tolerance
- Virtual machines with no disks attached
- Physical RDMs
- Independent Disks
Backup or restore can fail if the name of the datastore, cluster, or virtual machine contains any of the following characters:
+ & @ % = # % * $ # ! \ / : * ? " < > | ; '
For more information, see Error downloading or uploading virtual machine configuration file.
If some parts of a virtual machine backup job are not completed successfully, the job status is "Completed w/ one or more errors." You can view the Job Details dialog box and select the Virtual Machine Status tab to check the status of specific VMs.
If the status for a specific virtual machine is "Partial Success," some information for the VM was successfully backed up, but other information was not. Failed items for a VM contribute to the Failed Objects count in the Backup Job Summary Report.
A VM is only included in a backup of failed VMs if the VM is marked as Failed in the Virtual Machine Status tab. VMs that complete with partial success are not included as failed VMs.
After configuring the VMware vCenter client and a subclient, you are ready to perform your first backup.
The following section provides step-by-step instructions for running your first full backup of a single virtual machine immediately.
- From the CommCell Console, navigate to Client Computers > virtualization_client > Virtual Server | VMware | backup_set.
- Under the backup set, right-click a subclient that has been configured to protect a single VM and click Backup.
- On the Backup Options dialog, select Full for the backup type and Immediate to run the job immediately.
- Click OK.
- From the main window of the CommCell Console, click Home | Job Controller to track the progress of the job.
- Once the job is complete, you can view the details of the job from the Backup History tab.
- Right-click the subclient and select Backup History.
- Click OK.
You can view the following information by right-clicking the job:
- Failed items
- Job details
- Media associated with the job
- Events for the job
- Log files for the job