Ownership and Capabilities for Virtual Machine Recovery
Users can be assigned capabilities and ownership that enable them to browse and restore backed up data for virtual machines. These capabilities and ownership apply to the CommCell Console, VM File Recovery Plug-In, Web Console, and Windows Explorer Plug-In.
- Capabilities can be assigned to a user through an association with a client computer group or user group, or by specifying owner capabilities directly on a client computer. Depending on the operations a user needs to perform, the user must have some or all of the following capabilities:
- In Place Recover (files and folders)
- Out of Place Recover (files and folders)
- In Place Full Machine Recovery (full VMs)
- Out of Place Full Machine Recovery (full VMs)
Note: Do not assign capabilities at the CommCell level (Control Panel > System Owner Capabilities); providing capabilities at the system level makes all objects available to all CommCell users.
- Ownership can be assigned for a client computer or a virtual machine. You must assign users or user groups as owners, including users and groups defined in Active Directory or directly in the CommCell.
In addition to capabilities and ownership, administrator user accounts must have permissions for the vCenter.