SnapProtect for VMware – Nimble Storage
|Overview||Deployment||Configuration||Automatic Discovery||Select Storage Array||Backup||Vault or Mirror Copy||Backup Copy||Restore|
Set Up the Nimble Storage
- From the Nimble storage array console, ensure that the Access Control Entry for the client initiator group is set to Volume and Snapshots.
- In case you are using a proxy computer for SnapProtect operations, add the initiator group for the proxy computer and set the Access Control Entry to Snapshots Only.
- Ensure that a temporary LUN is allocated to all ESX Servers that are used for snapshot operations.
- For the Nimble Snap and Replicate engine, if the source volumes are part of a volume collection, do the following:
- Select the Snapshot triggered by CommVault check box, in the Schedules tab under the Volume Collection in the array administration console.
- Add all source volumes of the collection into the subclient content.
- When a snapshot of a volume collection is taken, one snapshot per source volume is created. If the content of the subclient contains an incomplete volume collection, then the snapshot of the source volume that was not added to the subclient is not managed by SnapProtect. The result is that when the snapshot of the volume collection is deleted, an orphan snapshot is left on the array.
- If you are using VMware, create one volume collection per datastore to prevent the creation of snapshots of volumes that do not make up the datastore.
- Before you upgrade the Nimble firmware version, move all snapshots to a secondary storage using the Backup Copy operation because array nodes will no longer be accessible using old interfaces.
- When you merge all Nimble arrays to one group, move all snapshots to a secondary storage using the Backup Copy operation.
- Make sure that all source volumes are part of a volume collection and that the Schedule of Volume Collection has Snapshot triggered by CommVault enabled in the array console.
Set Up the Array Information
Provide the identification information for the array to ensure access.
The following section provides step-by-step instructions for setting up the array information.
- From the CommCell Browser, click the Storage tab and then click the Array Management icon.
- In the Array Management dialog box, click Add.
- Select Nimble Storage from the Snap Vendor list.
- In the Name box, specify the Management IP Address of the array
- If you plan to switch to automatic mode from manual mode, create a new entry in the Array Management dialog box using Virtual Target IP (VTIP).
- Enter the Management IP Address of the array in the Control Host field.
Click Change and enter the access information of a user with administrative privileges in the Username and Password fields in Enter User Name and Password dialog box.
These are the user credentials used for accessing Nimble web console.
Use the Description field to enter a description about the entity. This description can include information about the entity's content, cautionary notes, etc.
Click OK to save the information.