Backing Up Data on WANs with Limited Bandwidth
Consider the following scenario:
- CommServe, MediaAgent and storage devices are located in a Data Center.
- Clients are located in remote sites across a WAN.
- The WAN can support transfer of incremental data but not full backups.
The GridStore license is required to implement this solution. See License for comprehensive information on licensing.
Use the following procedure when WAN links do not have the bandwidth to transfer full backups and therefore only incremental backups can be performed on a regular basis.
- Install a temporary MediaAgent at the remote site.
The MediaAgent can be installed in the Client computer or on a different computer in the remote site.
See Install the MediaAgent - Windows for appropriate procedures for installing the MediaAgent.
- Attach a temporary storage device (tape or disk device) to this MediaAgent and configure the device.
This storage device must be compatible with the storage device in the Data Center.The following sections provide a discussion on the various types of libraries and how to configure them:
- Add a data path (using the temporary MediaAgent and Storage Device) to the Storage Policy Copy that will eventually be used to backup the clients from the remote site on a regular basis. The Storage Policy copy should use the MediaAgent and Storage Device in the Data Center as the default data path.
If you have configured the temporary MediaAgent on a different computer in the remote site, set this data path as a high priority data path in the subclient.See the following procedures for step-by-step instructions:
- Perform an initial full backup using the data path associated with the temporary MediaAgent and storage device.
- Ship the media containing the data associated with the full backup to the Data Center.
In the Data Center import the media into the MediaAgent/library which will be used to backup the clients from the remote site on a regular basis.
In the case of a disk device, the disk library can be migrated to the MediaAgent located in the Data Center.See the following procedures for step-by-step instructions:
- Delete the remote data path from the storage policy copy.
If necessary, the remote MediaAgent and storage device can also be deconfigured.See the following procedures for step-by-step instructions:
- Add a data path for the MediaAgent, Storage Device in the Data Center, to a Storage Policy if it is not already available.
See Add a Data Path to a Storage Policy Copy for step-by-step instructions.
- Schedule regular incremental backups to go across the WAN from the remote client to the Data Center.
- Schedule regular Synthetic Full backups to read the data from the full backup as well as the incremental backup located at the Data Center.
Optionally an inline copy can be used to separate the full and incremental backup to a different Media type. (However note that using a inline copy is not mandatory.)
See Enable an Inline Copy for instructions to enable the inline copy.