Creating a Custom Package for Windows Computers
You can create a custom package with the agents and options required for your Windows computers.
Before You Begin
- Obtain the installation package that was created from the Download Manager and distributed across your organization. You need the installation package to create a custom package.
If the installation package is not available, you can create one by using the steps in Downloading Software for Windows Computers Using the Download Manager.
Tip: You can also create a custom package directly from the Download Manager. For instructions, see Creating a Custom Package for Windows Computers Using the Download Manager.
- Collect the information required during the custom package creation. For more information, see Planning for the Custom Package Creation on Windows Computers.
- Log on to a Windows computer as an Administrator or as a member of the Administrator group on that computer.
- Run Setup.exe from the installation package.
The installation wizard opens.
- On the welcome page, select the I Agree check box and proceed to the next page.
- On the Choose the Installation Type page, click Create a custom package to install on a different computer and proceed to the next page.
- On the Select Windows Processor Type page, select the type of Windows processor that your computers support, and then proceed to the next page.
- On the Custom Package Install Type page, select one of the following options and proceed to the next page:
Option Description New Installations Use this option in the following scenarios:
- You plan to install the SnapProtect software on new clients.
- You plan to perform a hardware refresh.
The Download Manager downloads all the required installation files and service pack updates. For SnapProtect packages that need the SQL Server software, the Download Manager will retrieve Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Standard.
Upgrades Use this option if you plan to upgrade clients from previous SnapProtect versions. For example, upgrades from Version 10 to Version 11.
For SnapProtect packages that use the SQL Server software, the Download Manager will retrieve Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Enterprise. This SQL version is needed to upgrade clients that have SQL Server 2008 Enterprise (or earlier versions).
Service Pack Installations Use this option if you plan to install service pack updates or additional agents on an existing client.
Note: If you plan to install SnapProtect packages that need the Microsoft SQL Server (such as the CommServe), select New Installations.
- Follow the instructions in the installation wizard.
If you need information on which custom package option to select, see Decide which custom package options to set.
Remember: If you decide to save your selections during the package creation, consider the following guidelines:
- If SnapProtect is not installed on your computer, the Base Client software is installed to establish communications with the CommServe computer. You must provide the CommServe host name as well as your computer details.
- If you want to create an interactive custom package, configure the package to display the necessary options to the user, and record the option names so that you can notify users to better prepare them for the installation.
What to Do Next?
Distribute the custom package by using one of the following methods:
- Copy the package to a network share that is accessible by users
- Upload the package to the Download Center
For instructions, see Adding a Package to Download Center.