The Admin Console is a simple web-based user interface that you can use to configure, back up and restore your file system data, databases, and virtual machines. For more information on the operations that you can perform from the Admin Console, and the data that you can protect, see SnapProtect Solutions for Data Protection and Recovery.
Use the preinstallation checklist as a quick reference guide to help you prepare the computer where the console will be installed and to gather the information required during the installation.
Verify System Requirements
Verify that the computer where you plan to install the Admin Console satisfies the minimum requirements specified in System Requirements.
Verify License Requirements
The Admin Console does not require a license.
Determine the Installation Location
Install the Admin Console on the CommServe computer or on a computer that can connect to the CommServe and Web Server computers.
Determine Whether You Need Additional SnapProtect Software
- The Admin Console requires the Web Server and Web Console. If these packages are not installed in your CommCell environment, they must be installed along with the Admin Console.
- If you plan to protect VMware virtual machines from the Admin Console, the Virtual Server Agent must be installed on the CommServe computer.
Gather Installation Data
Refer to the items in this section to gather the information that you will need during the installation. Record the information before you begin installing the software, so you can refer to it during the installation.
You can install the Admin Console using either the CommCell Console or the installation package created by the Download Manager. Any item that applies to only one of these installation methods is noted.
- SnapProtect package to install
Install the Admin Console package, which is listed under the
If the File System Agent is not installed on the computer, the File System Core package is automatically installed with the package you selected. The File System Agent will not consume any license.
To gather the required information for the File System Agent, refer to the Gather Installation Data section in the Preinstallation Checklist for the Windows File System Agent.
- Client computer details
If the File System Agent, or another package, is already installed on the computer, you are not required to gather all the computer details again. The level of detail depends on how the package you selected is installed:
- For installations using the CommCell Console, the installation program requests only the name of the client computer.
- For installations using the installation package, the installation program reads the details from the previous installation.
- Web Server client name
- The name of the client where the Web Server is installed. If you have more than one Web Server client, you can select the client name from a list during the Admin Console installation.