Preinstallation Checklist for the Documentum Agent on Windows
The Documentum Agent backs up and restores EMC Documentum® Repository data, such as databases, storage areas and full-text indexes in your enterprise. Documentum Repository with Oracle, DB2 and SQL databases are supported. The database components that are backed up include data files and logs, which hold the Repository's meta data. For more information, see Overview - Documentum Agent.
Use this preinstallation checklist to prepare the computer where the Documentum Agent will be installed and to gather all of the information you will need during the installation.
Verify System Requirements
Verify that the computer where you will install the Documentum Agent satisfies the minimum requirements. For more information, see System Requirements - Documentum Agent.
Verify License Requirements
Based on the licensing mechanism used in your CommCell environment, verify that the CommCell has the required licenses to use the Documentum Agent. For more information, see License Requirements - Documentum Agent.
Determine the Installation Location
Based on your environment, install the Documentum Agent on the appropriate computer.
Environment Where to install the software Non-Clustered On the computer on which the Documentum Repository resides with the Oracle or the DB2 databases. Clustered On the physical nodes of the cluster where the Documentum Repository resides with the Oracle or the DB2 databases.
Review Installation ScenariosVerify that the Documentum Content Server and the database application (Oracle, or DB2, or SQL) are installed on the same computer or on separate computers.
- If 32-bit Documentum Content Server and 32-bit database application are installed on the same computer, the setup is known as Single Server Setup. Similarly, a 64-bit Documentum Content Server and 64-bit database application installed on the same computer is also known as Single Server Setup.
- If 32-bit Documentum Content Server and 32-bit or 64-bit database application are installed on different computers, the setup is known as Distributed Server Setup.
You must restart the Oracle database application after installing the Documentum Agent on Oracle database.
Prepare 64-bit Computers for 32-bit Agent Installations
You can install a 32-bit Documentum Content Server and a 32-bit database application, like Oracle, DB2, or SQL, on a 64-bit Windows operating system. For more information, see Enabling 32-Bit Installations on 64-Bit Windows Computers.
Gather Installation Data
Refer to the items in this section to gather the information that you will need during the installation. Record the information before you begin installing the software, so you can refer to it during the installation.
You can install the Documentum Agent using either the CommCell Console or the installation package created by the Download Manager. Any item that applies to only one of these installation methods is noted.
- SnapProtect package to install
- Install the Documentum package, which is listed under the Database category.
If the File System Agent is not installed on the computer, the File System Core and File System packages are automatically installed with the package you selected. The File System Agent will not consume any license.
To gather the required information for the File System Agent, refer to the Gather Installation Data section in the Preinstallation Checklist for the Windows File System Agent.
- Client computer details
If the File System Agent, or another package, is already installed on the computer, you are not required to gather all the computer details again. The level of detail depends on how the package you selected is installed:
- For installations using the CommCell Console, the installation program requests only the name of the client computer.
- For installations using the installation package, the installation program reads the details from the previous installation.