Preinstallation Checklist for the SAP for HANA Agent on UNIX
The SAP HANA Agent provides a simplified end-to-end backup and recovery solution for both large scale single node and multi-node SAP HANA environments. It uses the SAP Backint interface program to back up the data directly to the attached media. In case of a data loss, you can restore the backed up data and the log files directly from the media using the SAP Backint interface program. For more information, see Overview - SAP HANA Agent.
Use this preinstallation checklist to prepare the computer where the SAP HANA Agent will be installed and to gather all of the information you will need during the installation.
Verify System Requirements
Verify that the computer where you will install the SAP HANA Agent satisfies the minimum requirements. For more information, see System Requirements.
Verify License Requirements
Based on the licensing mechanism used in your CommCell environment, verify that the CommCell has the required licenses to use the SAP HANA Agent. For more information, see License Requirements.
Determine the Installation Location
Install the SAP HANA Agent on the computer that you want to back up. The SAP HANA Agent cannot be installed on cluster environments.
Gather Installation Data
Refer to the items in this section to gather the information that you will need during the installation. Record the information before you begin installing the software, so you can refer to it during the installation.
You can install the SAP HANA Agent using either the CommCell Console or the installation package created by the Download Manager. Any item that applies to only one of these installation methods is noted.
- SnapProtect package to install
- For installations using the CommCell Console, install the SAP for Hana package, which is listed under the Database category.
- For installations using the installation package, install the SAP for Hana package.
Note: If the File System Agent is not installed on the computer, the software automatically installs the File System Core package with the package that you select. The File System Agent will not consume any license. If you want to use any of the file system advanced features (for example, optimized scan or 1-touch operations) to protect the file system data, select the File System package.
For more information on the package options and to gather the required information for the File System Agent, refer to the Gather Installation Data section in the Preinstallation Checklist for the UNIX, Linux, and Macintosh File System Agent.
- Client computer details
If the File System Agent, or another package, is already installed on the computer, you are not required to gather all the computer details again. The level of detail depends on how the package you selected is installed:
- For installations using the CommCell Console, the installation program requests only the name of the client computer.
- For installations using the installation package, the installation program reads the details from the previous installation.
- UNIX Group and access permissions
If you did not assign a UNIX group during the installation of the File System agent, make sure to do the following during the installation:
- Assign the UNIX group that is used by the database application
- Include the database users into the group
You will be able to set the access permissions for the group. By default, read/write/execute permissions are granted to the UNIX group.
- Setting SAPHANAEXE Directory
- Note: The SAPHANAEXE directory is the SAP kernel directory for the SAP application. This directory contains the binaries. You can look at the SAP environmental variables to get this value.
- You can use /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/global/hdb/opt for this parameter. Substitute the SID with your value.