Creating a Solaris IPS Package
Use the Solaris IPS Packager to create and publish an IPS package to a File System or HTTP repository.
Before You Begin
- Obtain the installation package that was created from the Download Manager and distributed across your organization. You need the installation package to launch the Solaris IPS Packager.
- Collect the information required during the IPS package creation, such as the repository on which you want to host the package. For more information, see Planning for the Solaris IPS Package Creation.
Use the following steps to create an publish an IPS package:
Step 1: Packaging the Software
- Log on as root to the client computer acting as the image source.
If the installation package that was created using the Download Manager was copied to a DVD, use the following command to mount the DVD:
mount -r -F hsfs /dev/sr0 /cdrom
- On the Welcome dialog, press Enter.
- On the Selecting Native Package Type dialog, type 3 to create the Solaris IPS package and press Enter.
- On the Welcome to Solaris IPS Packager dialog, press Enter.
Follow the instructions in the Solaris IPS Packager.
- On the Summary dialog, record the package name as well as the repository where the package resides.
The IPS package is created.
- Set the publisher name for the package using the following command:
pkg set-publisher -g PathToRepository PublisherName
- PathToRepository is the path to the repository where the IPS package resides.
- PublisherName is the publisher's name for the package (for example, NetApp).
Step 2: Verifying the Package
- Check the state of the IPS package using the following command:
svcs -xv svc:/application/PackageName/cvpkgcfg:default
where PackageName is the name of the IPS package. Rectify any error that you find in the command output.
- Navigate to the File System or HTTP repository that you selected during the IPS package creation to verify that the package is available.
The following figure is an example of a package in an HTTP repository.
Step 3: Notifying the Users
Notify Solaris users that a new IPS package is available for download, and provide the repository details.