Enabling 32-Bit Installations on 64-Bit Windows Computers
If you have a 64-bit Windows computer and you want to protect 32-bit applications, you can configure the installation program to install 32-bit agents. This is useful if you need to protect 32-bit versions of the following applications:
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Microsoft Exchange Mailbox
- IBM Notes Database
Before You Begin
- Determine whether the agent that you want to install supports 32-bit installations. For more information, see 32-Bit Installation Support on 64-bit Windows Computers.
- Review requirements, limitations, and other information associated with enabling 32-bit installations. For more information, see Considerations for Installing 32-Bit Software on 64-bit Windows Computers.
Use one of the following methods to enable 32-bit installations:
Preferred Method: Using the CommCell Console (Remote Installation)
During a remote installation, on the Enter Additional Install Options page of the installation wizard, select the Install 32-bit instead of default 64-bit packages (Windows X64 only) - This will protect 32-bit applications only check box.
Tip: If the computer already has other SnapProtect software installed (64-bit agents), you must install the 32-bit agents on a new SnapProtect instance. To install in a new instance, select the Install new Instance (if required) check box.
For instructions on remote installations, see Installing SnapProtect Remotely Using the CommCell Console.
Alternative Method: Using the Installation Package (Local Installation)
Before you run the installation package, you must configure a registry key on the 64-bit computer:
- Open the Windows Registry Editor and go to the following directory:
- Right-click SOFTWARE and click New > Key and name the new key as GalaxyInstallerFlags.
- Right-click GalaxyInstallerFlags and click New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Right-click the new value, click Rename, and then type bAllow32BitInstallOn64Bit as the new value.
- Double-click the DWORD key, set the Value Data to 1, and click OK.
- Close the Registry Editor.
After the registry key is created, you can install 32-bit agents by running the installation package. For instructions, see Installing SnapProtect Locally on Windows Computers Using the Installation Package.