Installing SnapProtect Locally on UNIX, Linux, and Macintosh Computers Using the Installation Package
You can install agents and other SnapProtect software by using the installation package that was created from the Download Manager application.
If installing on a clustered environment, install the software on all the physical nodes of the cluster.
Before You Begin
Verify that the installation package that was created from the Download Manager includes the software that you want to install. If some of the software is missing, create a new installation package and include the required software. For instructions, see Downloading Software for UNIX, Linux, and Macintosh Computers Using the Download Manager.
Prepare your environment and gather the information that you must provide during the installation:
- For CommCell Console installations, see the Before You Begin section in Installing the CommCell Console.
- For MediaAgents, see Plan the MediaAgent Installation and Preinstallation Checklist for the MediaAgent on UNIX.
- For agents, see Plan the Installation on UNIX, Linux, and Macintosh Computers and Preinstallation Checklist for Clients.
- For tools, see the Before You Begin section in Installing SnapProtect Tools.
- If the installation package was distributed as a DVD, make sure to mount the DVD.
Important: On AIX 6.1 (or later) computers, if the installation package was converted to an ISO image file, do not use the loopmount command to mount the ISO. Instead, use one of the following solutions:
- Install the software by using the CommCell Console.
- Mount the ISO on a Linux computer and then export the NFS share to the AIX computer.
- Create a custom package, and copy it to the local disk on the AIX computer.
- Log on to the computer as root.
In a cluster environment, log on to a physical node of the cluster as root.
Note: If the computer does not have a root user defined, you can install some UNIX agents by using a non-root user. However, only a few agents are supported. For more information, see Installation of UNIX Agents by a Non-Root User.
- Run the following command from the installation package or mount point:
To run the installation as a SUDO user with root privileges, use the following command:
- On the welcome page, click Next.
- On the Install Task page, select Install packages on this machine and click Next.
- Follow the instructions in the installation wizard.
If you want to install SnapProtect in decoupled mode, where the client does not establish connections with the CommServe computer, complete the following steps:
- When you reach the CommServe Host Name page, do not specify the host name, and click Next.
- On the Decoupled Install page, select Yes and click Next.
- If you are installing the software in a cluster environment, repeat the installation procedure for each physical node on the cluster.
- If you installed the software in decoupled mode, remember to register the client with the CommServe computer.
What to Do Next
Review the tasks that you must perform after the installation:
- For CommCell Console installations, see the What to Do Next section in Installing the CommCell Console.
- For MediaAgents, see Postinstallation Tasks for the MediaAgent.
- For agents, see Postinstallation Tasks for Clients, and then refer to the Getting Started page of each agent that you installed to perform the required agent configurations.
- For tools, see the What to Do Next section in Installing SnapProtect Tools.