Adding Alert Action Tokens to Alert Notifications
An action token is a placeholder that can be added to an alert notification so that the notification email includes an action users can take. The action is based on the workflow you associate with the action token. For example, in the body of the notification email, you can add the text "Delete User" and then attach a "delete user" workflow to the word "Delete." After the notification is generated, the email includes the text and the word "Delete" becomes a link to the workflow.
Applies To: Email notifications
Before You Begin
- Identify or create the workflow you want to run when the user clicks the action inside the notification email. For information on workflows, see Workflow: Overview.
- On the Home tab, go to Control Panel > Identity Management. In the Identity Management dialog box, on the Local Identity Management tab, select Enable and click OK.
About This Task
- Action tokens can be added to email notifications when HTML is selected as the email format.
- Because users must log on to the Web Console to run the workflow associated with the action token, the notification email must be sent to CommCell users and user groups. The Email to Recipients option is not available.
- From the CommCell Console ribbon, on the Home tab, click Alerts.
- In the Alerts dialog box, select the alert and click Edit.
- From the Modify Alert Wizard dialog box, select Notification Type(s) Selection in the left pane.
- On the Email > Regular tab, select the Select [Email] for notification check box and click HTML.
- In the body of the email, click where you want to type your text and then type the text you want to appear in the notification email.
For example, type "Maintenance."
- Select the text you want to make a link to the workflow, right-click, and click Action.
The Select Workflow for Regular Action Notification dialog box appears.
- Select the Select [Workflow] for notification check box.
- From the Workflow to run list, select a workflow to act as the action available to the user in the notification email.
A table with Name, Value, and Type columns is displayed. The Name and Type columns are populated with inputs defined in the workflow.
- In the Value column, select a value for the input from the list, or type a value for the input.
Inputs defined in the workflow and available alert tokens are listed. See Available Alert Tokens for the list of available tokens.
- From the Run workflow on list, pick a workflow engine to run the workflow:
- To run the workflow using a specific engine, click that engine.
- To run the workflow using the engine with the latest deployed version of the workflow, click Any.
- Click OK.
To change the workflow or the workflow inputs, select all of your text, right-click, and click Action.
- Click Finish.
When a CommCell user receives the email notification, the user will see the text and link you created. When the user clicks the link, the Web Console log on page appears. After the user logs on, the workflow defined as the action runs.