Data Multiplexing - Advanced
To configure your subclients to use data multiplexing complete the following steps.
For example, if three subclients of this storage policy are to be backed up in a multiplexed manner, then the multiplexing factor would be set to three.
Data Multiplexing cannot be enabled on a deduplication enabled copy or on a Disaster Recovery Backup storage policy.You can enable multiplexing for the copy as follows:
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Policies | Storage Policies | storage policy.
- Right-click the appropriate storage policy copy and click Properties.
- Click the Media tab.
- For primary copy, select the Enable Multiplexing check box and select the Multiplexing Factor.
For secondary copy, select Combine source data streams to n Stream(s) check box, select the Enable Multiplexing check box and then select the Multiplexing Factor.
- Optional: For primary copy, to exhaust the device streams first and not use multiplexing, select the Use device streams rather than multiplexing if possible check box.
Note: More media might be used, if Use device streams rather than multiplexing if possible check box is selected because the data streams are copied to each available drives first and then fills up the used up drives (spill and fill). If this check box is cleared, all the data streams are copied to one drive and once it is filled up, moves to the next drive (fill and spill).
- Click OK.
You can configure multiplexing for databases.
Note: When you enable multiplexing for Oracle when it uses multiple streams, you can configure the job to use all of the streams in a sequential order.
The software uses multiplexing for Oracle On-Demand jobs. To disable this feature, create a customized script wit the options parameter set to QB_NO_MULTIPLEX_STREAM.
For Sybase databases, you must use the same number of backup and restore streams when you use the multiplexing feature.
- From the CommCell Console ribbon, on the Home tab, click Control Panel, and then click Job Management.
The Job Management dialog box appears.
- On the ribbon of the CommCell Console, click Configuration tab, and then click Job Management.
- On the General tab, select the database multiplexing option.
- To enable multiplexing for Oracle and Oracle RAC databases, select the Enable Multiplexing for Oracle check box.
- To enable multiplexing for databases that are not Oracle and Oracle RAC, select the Enable Multiplexing for database agents (non-Oracle/RAC) check box.
After you set this feature, you must enable data multiplexing options. For more information, see Configuring Data Multiplexing.
Data Multiplexing is not supported with Deduplication. However,
- A Silo copy supports Data Multiplexing even if the storage policy copy is enabled with Deduplication.
- An Auxiliary Copy can be configured with Data Multiplexing when the source copy is enabled for Deduplication.
You can also deduplicate existing multiplexed data to a storage policy copy with deduplication enabled. This operation is useful when there are clients pointing to non-deduplicated storage policy copy with Data Multiplexing settings.
To copy the multiplexed data to a deduplicated storage policy copy, complete the following steps:
- Enabled Allow multiplexed data to be copied to deduplication enabled storage policy copy parameter.
- On the ribbon in the CommCell Console, click the Storage tab, and then click Media Management.
- On the Media Management Configuration dialog box, click the Auxiliary Copy Configuration tab.
- In the Allow multiplexed data to be copied to deduplication enabled storage policy copy box, type 1 to enable.
- Click OK.
- Create a secondary copy with deduplication.
See Creating a storage policy copy with deduplication for instructions.
- Run an Auxiliary Copy on the secondary copy.
See Performing an Auxiliary Copy for instructions.