Full System Recovery of Oracle Database: Rebuilding the Operating System
In the case of disaster recovery, where a full system restore is required, you must first rebuild the system to exactly the state as it existed before the problem
- Rebuild the hardware if needed.
- Install the same version of the operating system with the same patches that were previously installed.
- Edit the host file of the client to include the CommServe name.
- Install the File System Agent on the client.
- Perform a full system restore of the File System Agent. This will restore the Oracle application available under the <oracle install> directory. If there are any problems with the Oracle Agent, we recommend that you un-install and re-install the software in the same drive as it was previously installed. Use the same installation parameters, passwords, and backup type settings as were previously used. In addition to restoring your operating system, this operation will restore the Oracle application files and the Oracle Agent.
- Reboot the computer.
- Manually copy the init<SID>.ora file on to the computer you are rebuilding. This is not needed when you have used SP file for the backup.