Rebuilding the Windows Operating System on RIS Server
Rebuild the operating system in the event of a disaster.
Before You Begin
- Install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and 4 on the client computer. This is not required if the client computer has Windows 2003 or Windows XP.
- On a Windows 2003 Server, restore to the same platform that you used for performing the backup. For example, You cannot do a full system restore on an x64 platform if you are using a 32-bit iDataAgent for backup.
About This Task
If the operating system of your client is corrupted, you need to re-build the operating system.
During the rebuild you will be prompted for the following system information. Since the computer will be down during the operating system rebuild, you may not be able to access necessary information about the system. It is important to record such information before a disaster occurs.
How to Get It
|Windows Operating System||Use Windows installation discs, CD, required service packs (SPs) and Hot fixes to install the Windows Operating System.|
|Windows File System iDataAgent||Use Windows File System iDataAgent installation disc to install the Windows File System iDataAgent.|
|Drives||Use the Disk Management utility to record the volumes and sizes of the hard drives in the system, which are needed to recreate the disk configuration in case of hard drive failure. Hard drives must be configured before restoring System State or file system data.|
|Computer name||Use the same computer name and avoid changing other configuration settings.|
|Network Interface Card configuration and settings||
|TCP/IP Settings|| On the command prompt give following commands:
|Video settings||Note down the video settings if the resolution and color depth are important.|
|Domain information||Note down the domain in which this computer resides.|
|Domain password||Note down this information if you are restoring a domain controller.|
|Local admin password||Note down this information to log on to the computer once it is restored.|
- Rebuild the system hardware if necessary.
- Configure hardware devices such as disk arrays and ensure connectivity to all drives.
- Using the instructions provided with the software, install Windows operating system and include any previously installed Service Packs and Hot Fixes.
Do not install IIS Services. These services will be restored automatically during the restore.
- Add Remote Installation Services component.
- Reboot your computer.
- Manually add the computer to the original domain it was in.
- Reboot your computer.
- Recreate the drive letter where RIS (Remote Installation Services) and SIS (Single Instance Storage) were residing.
- Run the following command:
- Follow the command prompts and specify the original drive letter that contained the RIS and SIS.
- Install the Windows File System Agent all applicable updates on the default install partition of the client computer.
- Disable backup jobs on the client
- From the CommCell Browser, right-click the <Client> and select Properties.
- Click the Activity Control tab.
- Clear the Enable Backup check box and click OK. This will disable backup jobs for the client and any scheduled backup jobs for the client will not start during the full system restore.