Configuring DLP Settings on Your Laptop from the Web Console
Files locked with Data Loss Prevention (DLP) must be unlocked before you can open and read the contents of the file. You can unlock individual files, or unlock all of the files within a folder.
Depending on your administrator's settings, you might be able to open locked files automatically when logged in to your laptop as an authorized user. However, if you cannot open a locked file or the contents of the locked file are encrypted, then you must unlock the file before you can open and read its contents.
If your laptop has been reported missing, you must always perform the following procedure before you can read the contents of a locked file.
Before You Begin
We recommend that you create a DLP passkey before you lock items from the Web Console. If you lock items before creating a DLP passkey, you can only unlock the files when your laptop has connectivity to the CommServe host. See Creating a Data Loss Prevention Passkey.
- Open a web browser and log in to the Web Console. See Accessing the Web Console.
- Click My Data and under Computers, click the name of your laptop.
- In the Backup section, next to Backup & Lock Contents, click Edit.
- In the Backup & Lock Content dialog box, choose how you want to configure your DLP settings.
Goal Procedure Lock files and folders on your laptop.
- To the right of Content To Backup & Lock, click Edit.
- Select the check boxes for the files and folders you want to lock, and then click Select.
You may lock folders within your system drive, but do not select the root folder of your system drive or the folder where the SnapProtect software is installed.
Items in the Content Library do not support DLP locking.
Enable or disable DLP locking for file or folder.
- In the Content To Backup & Lock section, click the lock icon to the right of the file or folder name.
If DLP is enabled for an item, a locked icon () is displayed.
If DLP is disabled on an item, a grey, unlocked icon () is displayed.
Exclude files or folders from DLP locking.
- To the right of Do Not Lock these files/folders, click Edit.
- Click the add paths icon ().
- Enter the path of the file or folder you want to exclude from DLP locking and then click Add Path.
You can include wildcards in the path to exclude file types. For example, entering \*.txt will exclude all text files from DLP locking.