Erase Backed Up Data: Exchange Mailbox (Classic) Agent
The Erase Data feature allows you to permanently erase any data that can be backed up. This is useful if you want to erase data so that it cannot be restored again. For example, you may want to erase data for legal purposes or compliance regulations.Keep in mind that the erase data operation only erases the backup data - the source data will remain on the local hard drive. Therefore, it is recommended to delete the data from the source first so that it will not be backed up again.
The Erase Data operation makes the data inaccessible for browsing and recovery - the data will remain on the media and take up space until it is aged off according to the retention rules set for the data. Data will not be recoverable using any data recovery methods.
Using Erase Data, you can erase mailboxes, folders in a mailbox, messages within a folder, and attachments.Erase Backed-Up or Archived Data: Erasing Data by Browsing), you can now browse and erase data.
Run Erase Data Job
- In the CommCell Browser, right-click the <BackupSet> that contains the data to erase, click All Tasks, then Erase Data By Browsing.
- Click Yes to acknowledge the warning and continue.
- In the Erase Data by Browsing dialog box, click Browse.
Note: When a path is selected and a browse time is specified, all data that matches the path on that client will be erased even if the data was not backed up in the specified time range or does not belong to the backup set.
- In the Erase Backup/Archived Data dialog box, select a browse time range and any advanced browse options, then click View Content.
- In the browse selection window, select the data objects that you want to erase, then click OK.
Note: If you need to erase data from a specific folder that is not visible in the current browse selection, you need to browse to a backup taken at a point in time that included the folder. Then, you can select the data to be erased inside that folder.
Note: For clients using Indexing Version 2 that do not have backups from the previous version of indexing, the erase data by browsing operation is not performed as a separate job.
These features are available to view the data erased.
You can view detailed, historical information about the Erase Data jobs in the Admin Job History Filter dialog box.
Note: This view is only available for clients using the previous version of indexing.
- From the CommCell Browser, right-click the CommServe, click View, and then click Admin Job History.
- From the Admin Job History Filter dialog box, select the filter options that you want to apply and click OK.
The Erase Backup/Archived Data Job Summary Report displays information about erase data jobs that run in the CommCell. See Erase Backup/Archived Data Job Summary Report for details.