Microsoft Windows Explorer Plug-In: Overview
The SnapProtect Explorer Plug-In for Microsoft Windows Explorer is a feature that provides a read-only view into backed-up data, letting you browse and restore the data directly from within Windows Explorer. The Explorer Plug-In does not let you write to a backup.
When you have enabled the Explorer Plug-In, new drives appear in Windows Explorer under My Computer. These read-only drives give access to files and folders that were backed up from computers and virtual machines (VMs) that you own, and also to shares that you have set up or received access to.
You can copy files from the My Data drive, or open files directly in applications running on a computer, as if those files were on a drive inside that computer.
If you have access to a file that is shared with you, you can copy the file to a drive for which you have write permission.
Visually, owned computers and virtual machines (VMs) appear with a modified Windows icon that indicates the type of the item (see Explorer Plug-In Virtual Drive Icons).
The Explorer Plug-In supports these operations:
- Browsing and restoring files from backup copies
- Viewing the contents of files on backup copies
- Seeing all computers you own (those associated to the user name you used when logging on to your computer) and accessing their backed-up data
- Sharing your files and folders with other users, and accessing their shared data
- Securely deleting files on local disks
Explorer Plug-In is supported on the following Windows platforms:
- Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit and x64 Editions
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Editions
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Editions
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Editions
- Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit and x64 Editions
- Microsoft Windows 8 Editions
- Microsoft Windows Client 10