Configuring Firewall on Multiple Clients Simultaneously
If you need to configure multiple clients with the same firewall settings, use one of the following methods:
- Method 1: Using Predefined Topologies
The SnapProtect software provides predefined firewall topologies that set incoming and outgoing routes and other options at the client group level. You can create instances of these predefined topologies for specific client groups, then if needed, modify those instances to override some default settings, such as incoming (listening) ports and settings on the Options tab. This approach simplifies the administration of firewall settings.
- Method 2: Using a Client Group
You can associate the clients to a client group, and the perform the firewall configuration at the client group level.
Refer to the steps of the method that you want to use:
Method 1: Using Predefined Topologies
Based on your network configuration, see Direct Connections Using Predefined Firewall Topology or Setting Up Proxy Connections Using Predefined Firewall Topology.
Method 2: Using a Client Group
- Create a client group, and then configure the client group with the required firewall settings.
- To create a client group, see Client Computer Groups - Getting Started.
- Right-click the newly created client group, and then click Properties.
- Click Network, and then Configure Firewall Settings.
- Select the required options described in the firewall configuration procedures for your particular network configuration (direct, via proxy, etc.; see Firewall: Overview).
The client (or MediaAgent) configuration steps given in the Firewall area are applicable for the client group.
- Right-click the client group, and then click All Tasks > Push Firewall Configuration.
This sets the configuration on all the clients. You can verify the new firewall configuration on each client computer.
- Configure each client to inherit the firewall configuration from the client group.
Perform the following steps on each client:
- From the CommCell Console, right-click the Client and then click Properties.
- Click Network.
- Ensure the Configure Firewall Settings option is not selected.
- Click OK.
- Future changes to the firewall configuration for the client group will be applied to this client.
- When Configure Firewall Settings is selected, the firewall configuration of both the client computer and client group are merged in the client computer.
- A client computer can be associated with more than one client group configured with firewall settings. However, the firewall routes configured on the client groups cannot conflict with each other.