Indexing: Best Practices
Recommendations for the Index Directory
Follow these practices to obtain best results with local index storage:
- Use a volume dedicated to the Index Directory formatted with a block allocation size of 4K.
- Use the IOmeter tool to test the I/O Operations Per Second (IOPS) on the drive. For more information, see Testing IOPS for Disk Library Mount Paths with IOmeter.
- Do not locate the Index Directory on the system drive of the MediaAgent hosting it.
- Do not locate the Index Directory on a compressed drive.
- For Microsoft Windows MediaAgents, disable Microsoft Windows indexing service on the drive. For more information, see Microsoft documentation.
- For best performance, locate the Index Directory on an SSD (solid state drive) disk.
- Do not place the Index Directory folder directly under the software_installation_directory.
- For Unix, do not specify root as the Index Directory.
- When entering the complete index path:
- Do not use special characters.
- Do not use any Unicode characters.
Note: The overall path length, including the Index Directory folder name, is limited to 75 characters.