If you want to analyze large amounts of log data from multiple clients in your environment, you can set up monitoring policies to collect and filter the log data. Monitoring policies help you capture log events to efficiently analyze and monitor the state of your environment.
Note: Laptop clients are excluded from Log Monitoring. That is, log data from laptop clients will not be captured.
During the monitoring process, log events are filtered based on the log criteria specified in the monitoring policy. When the criteria matches one or more log events, the monitoring policy collects the information and stores it in the database. You can monitor the collected log data using one of the following approaches:
- Setting up a notification system for each monitoring policy
- Generating a report
- Searching log data using the Log Monitoring application in the Web Console
Supported Data SourcesYou can monitor a variety of system-generated logs:
- Text log files, such as NetApp logs and csv logs
- CommServe database logs, which include Audit Trail, CommCell alerts and Event Viewer logs
- Windows events, such as System Event and Application Event logs
- UNIX system logs
The log monitoring solution includes the following features:Log Data Collection and Log Management
You can use monitoring policies to accomplish the following goals:
- Capture the log data to quickly address future issues and to troubleshoot cases
- Collect log messages from multiple sources, such as Windows, UNIX, and NetApp logs
- Monitor the logs in real time or schedule the policy to run at specific intervals.
You can set additional options to capture the log data that you want to monitor. For example, you can use keywords and filtering criteria to collect specific log events.
Global Monitoring Policies
You can create a global monitoring policy in a CommCell and use it to index data from monitoring policies in other CommCells.
Alerts for Log Activity
You can set up email alerts to receive notifications when a specific log event occurs.Scheduled Search Reports of Log Activity
You can schedule searches to run daily or weekly. The schedule can be configured to email the search results. You can use the search results to analyze the log activity during specific time intervals.
Log Monitoring Application
You can use the Log Monitoring Application on the Web Console to search for log data, create alerts and reports based on your searches, and upload new log files for immediate log data analysis.