Media Refresh enables you to move valid data from a tape media to another media. By using Media Refresh, you can consolidate data and recycle the old tape media, thus utilizing media efficiently.
Media Refresh is also supported for Global Secondary Copy Policy.
Media refresh is useful in these scenarios:
- Consolidate data that is spread across several tapes. Media attached to storage policy copies with extended retention rules often result in partially used tapes. For example, consider database backups where the data gets pruned and the transaction logs are retained.
- Move the data to another media during an upgrade of the tape library model
You cannot refresh the following objects:
- Disk media
- Active media
- Deduplication-enabled storage policy copies that are configured for silo storage
Media Refresh Process
Media Refresh moves valid data from one media to another media. The process involves the following operations:
- After a media is picked for refresh and successful refresh job is run, valid data on the media is moved to a new media.
If the valid data on the media picked for refresh spans on other media (dependent media), then, this valid data present on the dependent media is also moved to the new media.
- If the data paths have hardware encryption enabled, then Media Refresh would encrypt the data from previous media.
- The old media is recycled and put into a scratch pool.