Changing the Client Computer Name Using the Command Line Interface
It is useful to change the hostname and display name of a client computer through the command line when you install the software using a decoupled install with Custom Package, and when you want to change the name of the computer after the computer is registered.
- The command must be executed locally and cannot be used to change the name of a remote computer.
- For clients that are part of a cluster environment, the name change must be performed from the CommCell Console. See Changing the Client Computer Name.
Before You Begin
- Review the schedules associated with the client. Client schedules must be recreated after changing the name of a client computer. For information on viewing schedules, see Viewing Job Schedules.
- Verify there are no jobs running for the client.
- If you are changing the name or host name of a proxy client or a client behind a proxy, review the information in Firewall Considerations for Name Change Operations.
- Perform the name change on the computer operating system and then verify the following:
- Verify that the computer is available in the network with the new name. (DNS lookup or other name resolution facilities are appropriately configured to resolve the new name of the computer.)
- Verify that all applications running on the computer, for example, SQL server, Exchange, Server, and Oracle database, function with the new name. To rename a computer that hosts a stand-alone instance of SQL Server, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143799.aspx.
- Use ping (or other network connectivity utilities) to verify that the computer with the new name is accessible. Also verify that other computers in the network are accessible to the computer with the new name.
- If you are not logged on to the CommServe computer, run the qlogin command.
- Download the update_client_name_template.xml file to the computer where you will run the command.
- On the command line, go to software_installation_directory/Base, and then type the following command:
qoperation execute -af update_client_name_template.xml -entity/clientName 'old_clientname' -client/clientEntity/clientName 'old_clientname' -entity/newName 'new_clientname'
Note: You can also define parameter values in the update_client_name_template.xml file instead of on the command line. For more information on command line parameters and XML elements, see Command Syntax for XML Commands.
- To log off the CommServe computer, run the qlogout command.
- Restart the services on the client. See Restarting a Service for instructions.
Important: For clients that contain the File Archiver for Windows/Unix agent, restart the services after the name change. This ensures that stub recalls from these clients function correctly.
After the services are started, open the CommCell Console. The new name for the computer will be displayed in the CommCell Browser.